Shi Lin Tong/Shilintong/Desmodium sp. Herb

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:26 pm

O.K. people, I have been doing some research on this Chinese Herb and I'm looking for more information and answers.

The "correct" Chinese name is Shi Lin Tong. Often English speakers will make it one word, Shilintong. The Chinese herb is Desmodium styracifolium. The common name is Coin-Leaved Desmodium. I have also found a South American/rainforest species and remedy that is Desmodium adscendens or common name Amor Seco.

I need to know if people have a domestic supply in the US/other than China. Due to the manufacturing issues in China, it is not recommended for people in other countries to utilize Chinese-manufactured remedies due to various impurities. Chinese herbal remedies are often made up of 10-20 various herbs and vary considerably from manufacturer to manufacturer. You never really know what you're getting.

I also need to know if the leaves only or the leaves and the stems are the active part of the plant. Some remedies have one or the other--or both. Big difference.

I would like to know any other processing concerns, e.g. stability, availability as tinctures, dried herbs, etc. I'm doing various searches but not finding SOLID information. I don't have any personal acquaintances well-versed in TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine).

From what I find, the main useful effects on the urinary tract include muscle relaxation (therefore alleviation of discomfort and inflammation) and increased diuresis.

Dosing information on cavies (albeit anecdotal) would be helpful here as well as links to other sites. I'll have to link this thread to the mentions of usage here on GL.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:30 pm

Here's GP Lover's Thread

Oh, and I need to know safety/usage with other Western drugs. Hard to find, I know.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:03 pm

I can't answer your questions about the herb but I can tell you that the pills I have are just coin leaved desmodium. There are no other ingredients listed on the bottle. The name on the bottle is "Shilintong".

If anything else is in the pills I couldn't say.

I doubt you'll find a domestic supply because it is a chinese herb supplement.

The pills I have say the ingredient is 19g+ per pill.

I took one pill and dissolved it enough water to fill about 4 x 1cc syringes and gave Angel 2 x 1cc syringes/day.

The change in her was remarkable.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:22 pm

All of the CE I've gone to with homeopaths, herbalists, etc. all state using domestic Chinese preparations. I know it can be done with other herbs. I've found some variations, including just ground herb, which is the best option I've seen. I think it was Amor Seco, though... some people say it works the same, but I'm skeptical--especially on the internet and based on the little training I've had in this area. I have done more training than some of my peers, though.

I think that the laws in China make it O.K. to not list all the ingredients on the label. I don't know much legal stuff, though. I found one site that names dozens of herbs in one "Shi Lin Tong" remedy, so I'm sure it's a concern.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:18 pm

I don't know if she'd be able to help you but I'll bet she would try -- write Alison (forum member). She occasionally writes me, just got a couple new guinea pigs (if I remember correctly) though she hasn't posted in over a year. Alison is in Hong Kong.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:15 pm

Thanks, I will.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:53 pm

Lynx, I just tried to email Alison. Her profile doesn't allow emails. You'll have to send her address to me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:36 pm

Will do. I don't think she'll mind.

Alison

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:11 pm

I get your message via email. In fact, I know almost nothing about Chinese herbs. However, I would be glad if I can help your research.

First of all, I would like to clarify if Shilington = 石淋通 in Chinese. If yes, please let me know what info you would like to have. This herb is for kidney / urinary system. Right?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:32 pm

Hi Alison. I'll let Josephine answer that question (or maybe Carol, if the Chinese characters appear on her bottle).

Yes, this seems to be something for the urinary system. Carol has had good luck treating interstitial cystitis with it (pain on urination), if I remember the details correctly.

Alison

Post   » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:44 pm

Hi, Lynx,

I have found a Chinese herb website which seems to have sales channel in US. However, I am not sure if the herbs are approved by US govt. Thus, I send the website to Josephine via private mail for her to check.

On the other hand, I also see an introductory message of "shilington" on rat (not sure if this is guinea pig or not). Nevertheless, this message is prepared by the herb company. Thus, I doubt if the result is true or not. I hesitate to send this to Josephine. Anyhow, Josephine, please let me know if you want this one. I can do the translation and send to you via email.