For SpotBunny

urchin

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:39 pm

We lost our 11 month old guinea pig today. I took her in to the vet Friday because she wasn't eating, and despite handfeeding and anitibiotics she passed away in my husband's arms a little while ago after another trip to the vet. She had gone into renal failure. She was the best little guinea pig, small for an adult, weighing in at a little over a pound and easily fitting into a baby wipes conatainer with nose room to spare. So quiet, too. Rarely wheeked, instead choosing to stand up with her nose in the air whenever she wanted something. Our five year old son used to talk to her alot, and we'd let him hold her with us sitting nearby. She was the laziest little thing, finding herself a nice corner to sit in while out for playtime. I loved the way she'd give us this no-nonsense stare when we talked to her, or she sit and chew we held and talked to her like she was chewing on gum. Her favorite trick in the whole world was knocking the water bottle down, much to CloudBunny's annoyance. We tried to give her the best, a big cage, veggies, hay, plenty of attention, and now I feel I let her down, like I should have noticed something earlier so she would have had a full life instead of just shy of a year. She had so much energy Sunday and Monday and was eating better, then today we woke up to find her weak with a soft abdomen like she just stopped eating again during the night. We're all going to miss you SpotBunny.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:13 pm

I'm sorry you lost her. She sounds like she was a special pig. Since she was so small, there may have been some medical issues that shortened her life.

ottosmom

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:43 am

I'm so sorry for your loss.

urchin

Post   » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:01 pm

Thanks for caring. It's nice to know that there are people out there who view guinea pigs as wonderful companion animals and not just disposible pets who know how we are feeling to lose one.