Now George is peeing blood.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:56 am

That's a good idea. I had been meaning to check in about that. :)

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:58 am

Well, the report from the vet is that she has been "eating and pooping up a storm." Steve is there sorting out her aftercare plan and meds and should have Georgie shortly.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:28 pm

George is eating, peeing (no blood anymore), and pooping. Her incision looks good. Let's hope this trend continues.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:40 pm

Spoke too soon about the blood. We just replaced her towels and put her back in the cage and there's a small bloody pee spot (and some more poops, that look a bit smaller and softer than before).

I hate this rollercoaster.

Evangeline

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:47 pm

Well, some blood is to be expected right after surgery. I wouldn't freak out just yet. If it's a small amount and only intermitent, it's still within the normal range. And I hope it only gets better.

Piggster

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:08 pm

I wish George a speedy and uneventful recovery.

And no more stones!

Serena
It started with Louie...

Post   » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:13 pm

I remember that Louie peed a little blood after his bladder stone surgeries, too. Give it a few days. George sure is a cutie-pie. I hope she recovers well. Tell her "no more stones from now on and that's an order!"

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:16 am

I hope George heals well. Such a sweetie.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:43 am

When I woke up this morning there was some more bloody pee, as well as some small clots (I think). Also some poops, though some were tiny and mushy. I left a msg for a vet to call me back at 8:15 but haven't heard anything back yet.

This morning I got 11-12ccs of Critical Care into her as well as a few ccs of water. And Steve has given her another few syringefuls of water, which she takes readily; I think she likes chewing on the syringe. She just peed, Steve reports, and it's still bloody. I'm thinking another subcue (which I imagine we can get locally) will be a good idea, but want to hear back from the vet before I do anything.

Her pee yesterday had been reasonably clear, which may have been because she'd had a subcue. But as I recall from her past surgeries, the bloody pee didn't last beyond that first day after surgery, which is why I'm a little concerned at this point.

Here is what I saw this morning:

whittibo

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:19 am

Oh Swannie, I just can't believe all you, Steve and George have been through. She just HAS to be ok.

I thought I was confused, I thought she already had the second surgery. WOW, it's hard to believe the poor thing has been through THREE now. She must be a fighter! Still sending prayers your way for you all!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:19 am

Oh, I hope she will be alright. I don't blame you for being concerned. If she continues to take food and water that is a good sign.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:23 am

Let us know what the vet thinks. Of course I hope she recovers well.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:59 pm

Swannie must have seriously pissed off someone in a previous life.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:43 pm

Well, clearly!

Spoke to Dr. S. and he said that while clotting is not really totally unexpected, an additional subcue would be a good idea. So George is going to a local vet at 3pm to have that done. Does anyone have an idea of how much fluids she should be given (she's just about 1kg). And how would they warm the fluids first? And should they use two insertion points?

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:15 pm

All I remember is 30cc 2X/day. You want body temperature.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:24 pm

I found this in an old post of pinta's:

"20cc of subcue fluid every 12 hours. Warm the fluid by running hot water over the filled syringe."

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:28 pm

Carpenter's lists the shock dosage at 25 ml over 10 minutes and maintenance as 50-100 ml/kg/day. I think I've usually gone with 30 ml q12h--I think per Quesenberry? Can't remember and can't find the reference. That's on patients that aren't eating. I guess I would give more like 20 ml q12h possibly if it was just for flushing bladders and such. I usually will be able to give 30 ml in one spot. It depends on the pig and how much loose skin there is. If it gets too tight, I'd do 2 places.

On pigs that just need bladder flushing, I might be inclined to do fluids once a day and closer to the 30 ml volume.

Usually, I like a 35 ml syringe and 21G butterfly catheter. Just prior to giving the fluids, I do heat them to close to body temp in a warm water bath (being careful not to contaminate the needle end). I never microwave them (don't like plastic contaminants dissolving in the fluids personally), although some people do. You definitely wouldn't microwave with a needle and reheating bags is problematic for bacterial content. My personal opinion--don't microwave ever.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:19 pm

Thanks for the input, Josephine--I really appreciate it.

George did get her subcue (though she apparently was not happy about it) and is now munching on some hay, according to Nurse Steve.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:26 pm

We flush out Frizzle's bladder with only 10-12 cc's of LRS. It's more comfortable for her. I think considerable damage to the animal can be done heating the subcue. We heat up water in a coffee cup and stick the syringe in there for a few minutes. Microwaves don't heat things up consistently either so you could have cold and scalding all in one syringe and not really know it.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:56 pm

I hope they didn't microwave. I emailed Steve the protocol pinta posted before he left for the visit. I am still waiting on a call back from the vet to confirm the amount of fluids she got (he forgot to ask).

401 posts