Antibiotics

pinta

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:17 am

We need the concentration

Merry

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:17 am

Concentration? How do I find that out?

There is a note on the label that says "Quantity: 15" but I highly doubt that'll be any help lol.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:22 am

Bactrim is often a common pediatric suspension. If that is what it is, the calculator will give you what the dose should be.

I checked. Estimated weight in kilos, looks to be about 0.7cc twice a day.

Merry

Post   » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:30 am

Oh I'm sorry, earlier I meant 0.5cc. On the label it says "1/2 ml" but 0.5cc is what they marked on my syringe.

Hmm, so she's getting less than she needs? I'm a little hesitant to increase her dosage though without talking to my vet... eek I'm not sure what to do.

One thing I've noticed about the clicking though, once she's settled down she doesn't do it; it's usually when she's getting her meds or being carried around.

Merry

Post   » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:47 pm

Update... a few weeks after I last posted Shaki was completely back to herself and has remained that way (as well as steadily gaining weight) for almost two months. I think it may not have been completely bacterial after all as the big improvement came after I switched bedding from pine to aspen and hay from a dusty, feed store brand to Kaytee Timothy. But today, she suddenly got sniffly again along with the two others. We have had a turn of weather lately, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

I have Baytril and Bactrim but don't want to use either one yet as they are otherwise symptomless (active, alert, good appetite) and all three of the pigs have been on antibiotics a lot lately: I don't want them building up a resistance to them.

I know of several people who use Sudafed to relieve mild congestion in guinea pigs - I have the children's version. However, the only dosage I was able to find was 0.4ml on Peter Gurney's site, and I know some of his information isn't up-to-date so I wanted to get a second opinion here.

If it doesn't help, I'll go straight to the ABs, but I wanted to give this a try first.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:47 pm

No way... No Sudafed.

For antihistamine, the only OTC that is relatively safe is diphenhydramine (Benedryl).

I'd discuss this with your vet since it sounds like there's something else going on here. You wouldn't want to mask signs and have the pig worsen and you not know it.

Merry

Post   » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:13 am

Well, they seemed okay last night and the same this morning. They were up at the cage bars begging for veggies as usual, and I saw no more discharge or unusual breathing. So maybe it was just a little dust in the air. Of course I'm still keeping a close eye on them, and if they get worse again I'll at least have a chat with my vet.

If I ever did need to use the benadryl, what is the usual dose? Or would it differ for pigs with different weights?

Merry

Post   » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:54 pm

The pigs have been fine since I last posted, but over the past couple days Lorena (a different pig than the one having problems earlier) has been sneezing and there has been some thin, clear discharge. I read on another site that this clear discharge is usually indicative of allergies as opposed to an URI - any comments on that? She is still active and energetic, and eating as greedily as ever, but I'm keeping a close eye on her.

I'm really starting to wonder if there's something in their environment that they're allergic to. The only thing I can think of is the hay; their bedding is virtually dust-free aspen shavings. The hay I use is Kaytee Timothy, it tends to be a little dusty but I don't know what else to get. Oxbow is so expensive, and the feed store hay isn't the best quality.

Also, I'd appreciate a reply to my previous question about the Benadryl, if anyone here knows the approximate dosage to give if I decided to try it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:55 pm

Allergies are rare. I would never assume a clear discharge indicates allergies. Greenish discharge would, however, indicate a more active bacterial infection.

Get hay from Kleenmama's Hayloft:
www.kmshayloft.com

It is the best!

amyjane

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:25 am

I would be wary of using Benadryl, myself. If it IS allergies, then you'd be better off finding the source of the problem. If it were a URI, then you would be masking the severity of the problem.

However, if you must use Benadryl...the dose I found on VIN is 0.5mg-2.0mg/kg q12h or q8h.

Merry

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:20 pm

Today I haven't noticed any sneezing and when I took her out just now I couldn't see any discharge - I checked her nose, eyes, and front paws. Still continuing to keep a very close eye on her and I have Bactrim and Baytril ready to be pulled out if it develops in an URI.

I know allergies are rare, but after personally experiencing one I'm just taking into account that they are a possibility - especially when the problems seem to just come and go like this. Shakira had respiratory problems for several months, (clicking, eye discharge and some nasal discharge) and in spite of antibiotics they kept coming back until I switched their bedding from kiln-dried pine topped with coastal bermuda hay from the feed store to aspen shavings and Kaytee Timothy Hay from a rack or in a pile (not all over the cage). I used to be very happy with the Kaytee, but the last few batches I've bought have been really dusty so I'm starting to wonder. May give KM a try... shipping's a little much though, but it might balance out if I compared it to how much I spend on little bags. Is it okay to store large amounts of hay for long periods of time? And any ideas on what else could be bugging her - presuming that this is not an URI - would be appreciated.

Thanks Amyjane - I'm not planning to use it any time soon but wanted to have the info just in case I really needed it.

amyjane

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:04 pm

I've stored hay for quite a while. I usually keep it in a dark trashbag in a dry, dark area.

Does she have any blankets in her cage? Maybe your detergent or fabric softener is bugging her. I guess it could potentially be mold. This time of year my apartment seems to get super moldy.