Bumblefoot?

pinta

Post   » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:15 pm

This is the thread with more detailed heart info

pinta

Post   » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:20 pm

synopsis from the idiot thread

Sometimes you'll luck out and an xray will show and enlarged heart or fluid in the lungs. Most of the time, it's a matter of observing and diagnosing via meds.

Signs of heart issues on the xray: enlarged liver, air in tummy, enlarged heart, fluid in the lungs. External signs of possible heart issues: Pea eye, bumblefeet or swollen feet, lethargy, lack of appetite, weight loss, chronic URIs, heavy breathing, lack of muscle tone, deep sleep, pale or blue colour to gums/tongue.

I've put a pig on heart meds that was only exhibiting unexplained weight loss. Perhaps if I delayed the meds she would have shown more signs. As it is, her weight stabilized once on heart meds leading us to assume she has heart issues which we will confirm
when she dies.

I would ask for an xray, and ask to try a course of heart meds preferrably Fortekor(Lotensin) or Enacard for a couple of weeks and see if her breathing improves. The xray could show something unrelated to the heart that is affecting the breathing - like a mass pressing on something.

If there is fluid in the lungs, she'll need Lasix. Most vets tend to underdose on the Lasix. It needs to be at least 5mg/kg worth daily. If there is fluid in the lungs a higher dose of 10mg/kg is needed to clear out the fluid and then a maintenance dose can be used. A hydration subcue of 20cc's will compensate for the dehydrating effects of the lasix. If kidney issues are suspected, Lasix is not recommended. The xray will probably give an indication of the kidney size, anyway.

You can also see if she gets perkier with an oxygen seession - another indication the problem is circulatory.

A blood panel can be informative but thus far, we haven't found them terribly useful for heart issues. Observation seems to be the best diagnostic tool so far if xrays and ultrasounds aren't revealing.