Please post photos of your Guinea Pig Cages/Homes

Debra

Post   » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:39 pm

I would really like to see the homes (cages) for your piggies. We have had our guinea pigs for less than 2 months, and want to thank everyone for the advice they have given me so far. I have been to the cavycages website, and built a C&C cage, but I must alter it as I made it 2x3 and will need to separate the male & female & need to provide them each enough room. So far, we have used shoe boxes w/holes cut out for the homes, which they seem to like. I've seen glimpses of igloos and step stools (for hiding) that look interesting...
For those of you that have many guinea pigs...I would love to see your set ups for many piggies!

Being such a visual person, and all of you are so good with posting photos....I would like to see what you have done. Maybe get a few new ideas.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:49 pm

MommyofGus

Post   » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:49 pm

www.cavycages.com has a gallery

Debra

Post   » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:39 pm

Thank you. I enjoyed both links! The Cavy Cage web site is slow on my computer, so I only was able to see a few. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Again, if anyone posts photos of their own set up, I would enjoy seeing.

MommyofGus

Post   » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:55 pm

Mine is incredibly boring

It all looks so clean in this picture, and it is NEVER that way! I have also added a set of Rubbermaid drawers on the left, for more storage. Picture hay EVERYWHERE, and the pic is more realistic!

ottosmom

Post   » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:40 am

I like the plush "Ray" on the window seal. I have the smaller, non-talking version of him. ;+)

BostonPigLover

Post   » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:21 am

Here's my current cage Image

It's forever changing, but I've had it like this for a few months now. The Top is a 2x6 with my 3 girls, Middle is also a 2x6 with 2 boys, and Bottom is a 2x3 with 1 boy. He lives alone because He likes to fight with one of my other boys.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:27 am

I have a question about these multi-level cages. I added on one grid's worth of a second floor in a 2 X 5 cage. The pigs avoid it. It doesn't feel terribly stable and it's hard to get back under it to clean it. How do you adequately build and maintain these?

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:42 am

BostonPigLover- I want your cage! Is that hard to clean and get pigs out of? If we ever move that is what I'd like to do. I have six pigs in three cages, so that would be ideal. My setup now is like MommyofGus, but there are three of them.

BostonPigLover

Post   » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:54 am

The Top is the easiest to clean. On the front of the top level, the 1st and 6th Grids are stationary. Behind these 2 are 2 sets of 3 grids. These grids move-I can either take them off, or pull them open (like a folding door).

The middle level is set up exactly like the top level, but it's the hardest to clean. Since the top is not open, I have a hard time getting in there to clean.

The bottom open fully in the front, and the tray can be pulled out-this one is easy to clean as well.

Eventually I would like to build a cage where the Middle section slides out from under the top section. What I want it to do is hard for me to describe, so I'm sure it would be difficult to make as well!

Edit: I wanted to add that for more support I use Zip ties, and the Middle Cage does have 2 bent grids to hold the roof (or bottom of the top level) up.

PooksiedAnimals
Supporting my GL Habit

Post   » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:09 pm

I staggered my second level, so I didn't have to add a ramp. The girls love leaping up there.

It is supported in the back. I have another picture of that somewhere, if you wish to see it.

The new and improved (cobbled together) cage, so Vicky and the new girls (the boyfriend has nicked-named them Killdozer and Deathcop) can talk to each other between the grids:

I never imagined I'd own a 2x5.5.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:40 pm

Hey, I think your staggered caged worked great.