administering ivermectin - specific question for Lynx

CenterFielderNo5

Post   » Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:24 am

Sorry to keep posting consecutive messages, but I just wanted to mention that Cream already looks to be more active, and it´s only been about four hours since I gave her the first treatment. Maybe it´s just a case of me seeing the [piggie] world through rose-colored glasses, but she seemed to be running around a little more and eating hay, which she rarely does at night. Maybe she´s just high.  :D Scott
Last edited by CenterFielderNo5 on Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 17, 2002 12:48 am

That is too much for a tube of ivermectin. I´ve heard you can get a 50cc bottle for $35 or $40 on the internet and if you used a needled syringe and applied it topically, you might have no waste at all (and no need to mix). I hear it has a long shelf life. The injectable 50cc bottles have a rubbery stopper that a needle can be pushed through. You turn it upside down and draw out the tiny dose. I drip it carefully behind the ears and sometimes in problem areas like the rump where I have had fur mites, fold over the fur and rub slightly.

My local store sells the tubes of horsepaste for about $10 a tube.

CenterFielderNo5

Post   » Sun Mar 17, 2002 2:15 am

Yeah, that´s what I was talking about...... I got charged $15.95 for the tube that you get for $10. I think you might have meant to write the stuff about the 50cc bottles on the other thread that Kara started ;)

BTW, how many mg are there in the 50cc bottles, and where can I get them online?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:36 am

The 50cc bottles have 10 mg/cc so you are looking at 500mg (quite alot). It would last a very long time. If you do a search on Google ( www.google.com ) you ought to be able to track down someone with a reasonably priced product. You can also find the paste this way too.

ladyveg

Post   » Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:43 am

About the horse paste, before using, it may be wise to squirt the entire contents of the tube into a small sealable container and stir it up really well. Since it´s meant to be used in one shot with one large animal, I don´t know if the actual Ivermectin is mixed completely evenly through the paste or if it can be more concentrated in spots than others. Lynx, maybe you already cover this. But Debbie "The Rat Lady" Ducommun suggests this when using the horse paste to treat rats, since the amount of paste used is so small.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 17, 2002 7:51 am

I know I have heard this claim. But I firmly believe the product is evenly distributed throughout the tube. If it weren´t there would be no way to give a partial dose (250 pounds) and they would never be able to put the correct dose in a tube in the first place. It makes no sense to believe they would squirt the entire dose in the tube and then add the carrier if there were measurements for different weights. I think Evangeline believes some paste products are better than others though.

ladyveg

Post   » Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:05 am

Lynx, what you are saying makes sense. I probably will continue to mix the horse paste, as I only use it for my rats, and their dosage is extremely small. I like to do things the hard way. I prefer using the liquid Ivermectin straight, as you describe, using the small syringe and dripping it behind the ears. I had one vet drip a little into the ears of a rescue pig that she thought had ear mites.