Steve's teeth?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:08 pm

On a similar note to the other teeth thread, Steve (my never-been-sick 6 yr old pig) may have tooth problems. He's been making the "something is stuck in my mouth" face and losing weight.

We have an appointment with a vet on Monday. I am worried sick about my boy being anesthetized. Isn't it dangerous in older pigs? What should I do for him in the meantime? He can eat, and he doesn't leave bits of carrot. I've been supplementing him on his own (which is how I noticed the mouth thing) on the chance that Neal was hogging the food, but he's not back to his usual weight.

And if it's not his teeth, what else might be wrong?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:12 pm

If he's otherwise in fair health, I think he should do okay with the anesthesia. Snowflake (6) had a lump removed this summer.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:19 pm

Glad to hear it. He's otherwise okay. No more lazy than usual and all that.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:49 pm

I just had a bilateral mastectomy done on a 6 year old heart pig in June. He did well, although older pigs (esp. with heart problems) are higher risk. If you have good DVMs and RVTs doing anesthesia and monitoring, the risk is usually less than leaving the mass or dealing with the tooth problems.

pinta

Post   » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:34 am

If he takes a long time to come out of the anaesthetic, that could indicate he does have heart issues. That was the first real hint we had with Apatche, aside from family history. He went on to go thru two episodes of heart failure in his life. Heart meds kept him going to more than 6 years of age.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:41 am

Any other hints about heart problems? What is considered "a long time"?

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:41 pm

Well, we're back.

The vet wanted to run a blood test before he put Steve under anesthesia, partially due to his age. He otherwise feels that Steve is healthy, if underweight. Steve was very good about them taking his blood and didn't stress out. He did not like his temp taken, but was okay, if unhappy.

The vet was able to see points on Steve's teeth and a sore on his tongue with an otoscope (?). He wants to do a better exam and filing on Weds, under anethesia. He will call me tonight/tomorrow with the bloodwork results. I couldn't remember if the seperators could be used without anesthesia or not. (I wish I had Pinta or Josephine on speakerphone at the vet.)

Steve is on Chloramphenicol palmitate and Meloxicam and I picked up more Critical Care. The vet said he prescribed this antibiotic because it was better for mouth infections. Steve is not dehydrated. He didn't bite anybody. That's the good news. Oh, and that his meds are watermellon flavored, which he loves.

Thoughts?

pinta

Post   » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:48 pm

Apatche was supposed to be good to go home by 5 pm. Dental work was at 3pm(I think). He didn't totally wake up until 8 pm. That's was more than twice as long as he should have taken which was our first tip-off (aside from a family history) that he had heart issues.

I've discussed with my vet the idea of putting any senior pig on Fortekor before mandatory surgery since the majority of our senior pigs do exhibit heart symptoms. The situation hasn't arisen yet.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:20 pm

I think you can use the separators without anesthesia but with anesthesia will give you a better look.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:36 pm

I'm playing phone tag with the vet, but he left a message saying that Steve is done and the left side was pointier than the right side. Is that common?

Brandilynn
Who's your Branni?

Post   » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:08 pm

I do not have anything helpful to say but sorry about SteveO's teeth RS.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:31 pm

Thanks. I am stuck for another hour before I can get him. Jules is keeping him company, and I packed them lunch (literally). I'm not as worried now that he's awake. The vet tech said she gave him "lovin's" when she went to check on him and he's probably wondering why everyone keeps poking him.

The lady I trade pet sitting with has been helpful in calming my fears, as her pig also needs routine trimmings. Steve will be on antibiotics (for his sore tongue) and pain killers when he gets home. I hope he feels better after all this.