Steve's teeth?

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:35 pm

Rosie was geriatric the first time he was put to sleep for his teeth issues. He went under several times over the next year and some months for various issues and did just fine. He did die of heart disease, too (unrelated). Sometimes the little critters can surprise you. I get the feeling on occasion that the geriatrics have more attitude than the younger pigs. They seem to sometimes be able to take more, somehow. Good luck with Steve.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:56 pm

That's good to hear.

Did Rosie have one side more problematic than the other?

JaneDoe

Post   » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:01 pm

Thinking good thoughts for you, RS. My guys always get lots of attention from vet staff 'cause they're so cute :)

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:05 pm

His teeth can be seen here:

His left side was worse.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:07 pm

Thanks for the visual.

Steve is stubborn. He's eating well, if slowly. I think his teeth are sore.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:28 pm

Para's pic (along with a sketch of the teeth) is in the teeth area in the guide. I think her pic is great.

pinta

Post   » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:14 am

Probably TMJ on one side of the jaw. Very common.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:07 am

I thought it looked familiar.

The TMJ would also explain why he still seems to be chewing right-sided.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:55 am

How many days should it take before he's eating normally? I still have to cut up veg for him, but he's starting to eat lettuce leaves without help. He can manage hay, but doesn't want to eat his pellets (still slurping CC, although I'm trying to get him to eat more regular food).

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:32 pm

Partially for my own reference:

Vet said that I should stop the antibiotic for tonight and see if Steve's appetite is up tomorrow. He would have expected Steve to be 100% by now, because the amount of overgrowth was not that bad. Steve's white cell count had been a little elevated prior to this, so he's considering another blood test to see if that's still elevated. Will re-evaluate in the AM. Steve's weight is still low.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:46 pm

I hope that stopping the antibiotics gives his appetite a boost. I think if he is eating hay and maintaining his weight, that is great.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:17 pm

He was up to 2lbs earlier, after the trim, but he's back to 1lb 14 oz again. His average weight is more like 2lbs 2-3 oz.