Polycitra sources anyone? Becky?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:14 am

Someone in Finland wrote me looking for a generic name. I'm posting this here in case there is anything not evident by looking around on Google:

Anyway could you please tell me "trade name" and possible manufacturer of Polycitra, which is suitable for guinea pigs. From internet I found three products called Polycitra (all contains citrates), one was called Polycitra-K, other ones I don't remember anymore. Then I found an article about Polycitra used for humans for alkalise urine, but it sayd clearly that it is not same as Polycitra-K!!!

I wonder if I can even buy Polycitra from Finland (in local chemist they hadn't heard about it), but it could be easier with right trade name.

If anyone has good advice for her, please let me know.

I am guessing polycitra-K is the one. I'd have to look around.
http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharmace ... CITRA.html
Note: I think this product must be taken with extra fluids.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:32 am

Potassium citrate is the generic name, I believe. Polycitra-K is how one vet referred to the medicine; not sure how it's different to standard Polycitra (if at all). I think our current bottle says Citra-3 syrup (although I may be misremembering).

TX Rustlers

Post   » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:49 pm

Our vet compounds Urocrit for use in stones and sludge piggies, again this is a trade name for Potassium Citrate

Becky

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:28 am

Polycitra syrup (what I used) is a tricitrate. All of them--polycitra, potassium citrate, polycitra-K, Urocrit, citrolith--are citrates.

Here's a link to all of the combinations.

http://tinyurl.com/da6t7

Polycitra-K is potassium citrate plus citric acid. Polycitra-LC is potassium citrate plus tricitrates. Citrolith is potassium citrate plus sodium citrate. Orocit is sodium citrate plus citric acid. They all work the same way by introducing citrates into the urine to bind with the calcium.

There has to be something in Finland. This treatment has been around for quite a while.

I'll keep snooping around to see if I can find out more.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:22 am

Here's another way to list the long url directly:

link

Code: Select all

[url=http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/drugs/drug-7206-Tricitrates+Oral.aspx?drugid=7206&drugname=Tricitrates+Oral]link[/url]
I'm not sure but think tinyurl may have a limited life so the links may not always be available.

Becky

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:28 pm

Well, jeese...just when I figure out how to do something the right way, you come up with something new for me to learn.

Don't you understand the limitations of someone my age?!?

And who's going to teach me how to take a link and put my own words to it and make it a sexy color? Hmmm?

OK, so just paste the link into the quote feature, right?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:17 pm

It becomes a sexy color automatically. As for other sexy colors, I disabled the automatic color making thing. If it's abused, will completely pull it.

No, the quote feature doesn't come into play. Check the FAQ above. You do -- don't put any spaces in that part. Then write the word you want to be able to see, then close it with a . If you go to the reply page thing you can do a post preview to know if it works.

But I know you are a brilliant person and could get this downpat if you needed to. As for "someone your age", you should be well aware I am several years older than you are.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:02 am

I just got my very first bottle ever of Potassium Citrate 110 mg/ml.

It says to dose every 12 hours. Does anyone know if that is the only way it can be dosed, or can I do a double dose just once a day?

Becky

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:49 am

I wouldn't do a double dose. It's best to split it into two doses. Also, don't forget to give plenty of fluids with it.

Do you have tablets that you're going to crush up, or is it liquid? With the polycitra syrup, I mixed the dose with ten times as much water.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:14 am

It's a liquid syrup. I didn't know it had to be dosed with water. My vet has never used it with guinea pigs before; we're the first to do so. So we're both learning.

The pig who's getting it drinks water like a fiend anyway. His cage is always double-time soaked in urine. Do I still need to give him more water on top of what he drinks anyway?

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:22 am

Becky, can you explain why the extra water needs to be given at the same time?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:33 am

I have also heard it is very important to use extra water. I think it would be hard on the system if it is undiluted.