swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:04 pm

But why, exactly?

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:33 pm

Here's my dilemma:

I spend a large part of my time back and forth between my house and my mom's. Sometimes it's not always possible to make it home that night or first thing the next morning to do pig meds. I try hard to do it, but it's just not always possible.

When I asked my vet what would happen if arthur didn't get the med exactly every twelve hours, she said she THOUGHT I could just dose it once a day (like I'm doing with his Metacam, Reglan, Lactulose, and Simethicone). She said that since the medication works on the bloodstream to regulate chemicals in the urine, the half life of it meant that there would still be a percentage of it working. Which meant that I could realistically dose him every 24 hours and it would be okay.

That would be a huge help to me if it were possible to do it that way. It's a strain as it is back and forth between houses, and it's impossible for him to come with me. Carting him around all the time in a Rubbermain bin would just be more stress than it's worth.

Becky

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:03 pm

I originally got the information on the stones list, but since then, everything I've read about this medication says take with large amounts of water.

I'll look later, but if I recall correctly, it can be extremely harsh on their esphogus and upper GI system if it's not taken with water.

The dosing information for humans is four times a day. I'm imaging this is because it works on the urine by introducing citrates into the bladder and gets eliminated pretty quickly. I don't recall reading anything about it working via the bloodstream.

By giving the whole dose once a day, I imagine it might be too harsh. In addition, since one of its functions is to bind with excess calcium, more wouldn't necessarily be any more effective than half a dose, if that makes sense.

I'll see if I can dig up some more detailed urological sites for more info.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:19 pm

Thanks, Becky. I will dose him with water from now on. I didn't know it was harsh on them (I guess I assumed since it was compounded with flavor or whatever it'd be okay).

I'll only give him the 12 hour dose amount, and I'll do it every 12 hours if I can. If I can't, I guess it won't hurt him specifically. It sounds like it just wouldn't be as effective on those days.

I appreciate you taking time to look into this and help me.

Becky

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:21 pm

What's the dose? Maybe you could split the difference and up it on the days when you only can give one dose.

There's a really wide range of doses that have been Rx'd to various members here.

Becky

Post   » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:44 pm

OK, this is from a site dealing with Renal Tubular Acidosis (RTA). And just to show you how little I do know about the human body, the blood does seem to be involved. Makes sense, actually, since the blood system is a bit like a mass transit system for the body.

Since the normal kidney is getting rid of acid continuously, the alkali needs to be given in frequent doses, usually in 3-4 doses a day. Once or twice a day dosing will generally leave the child acidotic (ie with high blood levels of acid) for a significant portion of the day

Still looking for info re: taking with water...

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:23 am

This is listed as 110 mg/ml, and I'm supposed to give .15 every 12 hours. It's compounded liquid, mixed with "tutti fruitti" flavoring.

After thinking it over, I have decided that Arthur will just have to suffer the Rubbermaid bin, the psychotic cockatiel, and the neurotic Bichon and come with me this weekend. There just won't be a way for me to make sure he gets his meds on time unless he comes with. And I don't want to have him hurting any more than he already is. He's been in pain for so long with all this UTI stuff.

It's almost funny; to go care for my mother for a few days I feel like I'm packing to move - a suitcase, dogs, pigs, supplies, medicines, computer, portable drive, a portable filing cabinet. It's almost funny, except it isn't. Argh.

TX Rustlers

Post   » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:32 pm

Ok - I am really interested to hear what you find out about the additional water. We have been dosing our sludge foster piggy for well over a year with urocrit (compounded with some carrier and flavor) and have not supplimented with additional water - not saying this is the right thing to do, just letting you know we haven't, nor have been advised to do so.
What symptoms would we be looking for if water was not administered?
We give the urocit twice a day

Becky

Post   » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:30 pm

All of the information for human dosing of all of this class of drugs calls for increased liquids taken with them, whether they're tablets or the polycitra syrup.

Maybe compounding the tablets takes care of the problem? Maybe guinea pigs don't have the same reaction? I have no idea.

I do know, however, that my pharmacist said it's really hard on their GI system. She didn't know about guinea pigs, but assumed it would be the same for them.

I look at it this way. Extra water is going to be good for them anyway, so why take a chance? Just give it with extra water.