Tumors that are recurring..lipomas (sp?)

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:37 am

The vet phoned and left me a message that the tumor removed from Angel´s chest was a benign fatty tumor called a lipoma (sp?).

She said that guinea pigs who have one tend to have more of them but if they are not bothering Angel that they would not need to be removed.

Can anybody confirm to me that this is true?
How would we know if a tumor should reoccur that it is that type and not a cancerous type? How would I know if one would bother Angel? What would I notice about her behavior?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:43 am

I think Pinta mentioned that she has one pig with multiple fatty lipomas. A needle biopsy could put your mind to rest. I would think if they behave the same (you tell me -- I am guessing move around freely, not hot), you might be able to assume that.

You could try a search on Pinta and lipoma (or tumor).

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:53 am

Yeah, assumably they are that and sebaceous cysts. I know they´re benign because Peony isn´t dead. Every now and then the vet will do a fine needle aspiration if a suspicious one crops up but so far no problems. Peony´s range from hartd chik pea sized lumps to flat, squishy, quarter sized discs.

Rule of thumb is if it floats around under the skin and doesn´t seem attached to anything, you´re probably okay.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:57 am

And don,t start removing all of them, Carol. If they are benign, it,s ok for them to stay in.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:12 am

Here´s a great picture of Pinta´s Peony: