Bordetella transmission from dog to pig?

rokupic

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:27 am

Our dog was vaccinated on 10/18 with the usual boosters. On 10/24 he started coughing and was diagnosed with kennel cough (bordetella) on 10/25. We were out of town on vacation at the time. We returned home on 10/30 and he was still coughing occasionally. Our 3 gp's stayed at home under the excellent care of a friend, but 2 of them seemed to be sneezing a lot yesterday. Is there any way the pigs could catch the germs from the dog? The dog is terrified of the pigs and rarely enters their room.

lisam

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:58 am

Yes, it is possible.

Poor Baby Cuzko
My piggy made me give!

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:16 pm

If I remember correctly, Bordatella is air born and can be transmitted also by petting the dog then petting the guinea pig (or just being near the guinea pig or dog).

Bordatella isn't in your common shots that dogs get. It's given in the nose and usually only required when you're boarding a dog somewhere.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:30 pm

You need to get the pigs into the vets right away. I believe I read on another thread here that it can kill your pigs pretty quickly.

I wouldn't waste a second getting this done.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:31 pm

Bordatella isn't in your common shots that dogs get

True. This makes me think that all of us with dogs should get them vaccinated against this with their other vaccinations. I don't know if the vaccination is good for a year, but it would be worth checking into.

Wheekers3

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:01 pm

I had a relative that had a dog who came down with Bordatella. It was terrible to listen to that poor dog hack, and hack. He was on medication for the rest of his life and died of complications of it years later.

I have my dog vaccinated for it annually. He is boarded very unfrequently ( every other year for maybe a day or two ) , but I never want to take the chance of him getting it. After hearing a dog with it, you would do so too.

I don't think sneezing is symptomatic of Bordatella.

I would bring the pigs into the Vet for a consult if the sneezing persists.

Poor Baby Cuzko
My piggy made me give!

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:45 pm

Twister has never been boarded nor has she had Bordatella.

But you should definitely get your pigs checked out. You can never be too careful because they go downhill so fast.

alibee

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:52 pm

When I adopted my dog from the humane society, he came to me at under a year old with bordatella pneumonia (which they get after having had bordatella for a long time). His right lung was hematized and they thought they were going to have to remove it, but we tried a course of antibiotic therapy and after two pills a day for 6 months, he was cleared up! He had never barked or panted (!) until he was better.

Now he's 4.5 and a little waggleybutt maniac.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:02 pm

Sneezing would be a possible sign of bordetella in pigs as they would get URI symptoms.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:42 pm

I would bring the pigs into the Vet for a consult if the sneezing persists.
I understand that this disease can progress very quickly. Seems like this would be a good time to read:

https://www.guinealynx.info/common_mistakes.html

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:58 pm

Yes, it is transmissable to your pigs. It is airborne.

Keep your coughing dog away from your pig room, and change clothes and wash up between interacting with the dog and with the pigs. If at all possible, keep the dog outside while he's recovering. I believe the suggested quarantine is 30 days.

A good way to tell if the dog really has bordetella is to apply pressure to his throat with your hand, like you were pushing in on where his "adams apple" would be if he were human. Bordetella dogs will cough and hack as this pressure is applied.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:23 pm

Ditto. Bordetella is airborne, and endemic in even the cleanest shelters and boarding facilities. This is one of the many reasons a full quarantine is necessary for any animals rescued from shelters.

Please take your guinea pigs to your vet for a checkover. From Marvistavet.com:

"Bordetella infection can be picked up by rabbits, guinea pigs, pigs, cats (if they are very young and housed in groups), and other dogs. It is not contagious to humans though it is closely related to Bordetella pertussis, the agent of Whooping Cough."

Bordetella is responsive to trimethoprim sulfa, an inexpensive, simple to use and cavy-safe antibiotic:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/trimethoprim_sulfa.html