Bordetella transmission from dog to pig?

rokupic

Post   » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:27 am

Thanks, everyone. I finally got a hold of my vet mid-day yesterday and she confirmed that the piggies are at risk. But she won't prescribe antibiotics unless they exhibit symptoms. All 3 pigs were completely normal yesterday afternoon and evening--no sneezing or coughing, eyes bright and clear, good appetites, normal activity levels. We'll schedule a check-up for them quickly. They were all bright-eyed and obnoxious this morning while demanding their usual refills of pellets and hay.

My vet also confirmed that our dog got the bordetella as a result of his vaccination for it. He did get the vaccination with the rest of his boosters and seems to be in the extremely rare group of dogs who develop the illness as a result of the vaccine. The vet who diagnosed the bordetella applied pressure to the dog's throat, as Paravati suggested, and the poor dog coughed and coughed and coughed. He has responded well to his antibiotics and has not coughed in over 24 hours. I think he's out of the woods and we're keeping a very close watch on the pigs.

klynne

Post   » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:56 pm

rokupic, so glad your dog is doing better.

My vet routinely vaccinates all dogs annually for Bordatella. Since the titer levels drop quicky, however, I choose to vaccinate twice a year as I do volunteer at the local Humane Society and don't want to take any chances.

There were some good suggestions here on quarantine procedures and I would chime in saying to handle the ill dog LAST. Take care of the pigs while you are clean and unexposed to the dog, then take care of his needs later. I would also drop my clothes into a plastic bag until they can be washed, and definitely shower if possible between handling one species to another. I also put my shoes into a disinfectant wash. This may be a little extreme for your situation, but take what seems reasonable and do-able for you.

Sorry for your extra stress, and hope all goes well and the pigs stay healthy and your pup has a speedy recovery.