Ovarian Cysts

briana d

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:36 pm

I was wondering if anyone can give me some links to good sites about ovarian cysts. My guinea pig was possibly diagnosed with them. Any info from anyone and everyone would be greatly appreciated!!

imanut4u

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:52 pm

This also has some info -- specifically about HCG injections to reduce the size of ovarian cysts https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/threa ... &boardid=2

pigpal

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:24 pm

Hi, Briana. What did your vet suggest should be done about your pig´s condition?

Perhaps you could tell us what the signs are that led your vet to suspect ovarian cysts and if another possible diagnosis has been offered?

Several people here have had pigs with ovarian cysts and other conditions involving the reproductive system. I´m sure they´ll be willing to help if you have any specific questions.

Unfortunately the outcome is not always good, these are serious health problems for a guinea pig.

pigpal

Post   » Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:38 pm

This is from ExoticPetVet.net:

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/smanimal/smdiseases.html

Female guinea pigs may suffer from cystic ovaries as they age. It is estimated that over 75% of female cavies between 1.5 and 5 years of age have them. The cysts, which develop spontaneously, can be of varied sizes, and there may be one or several, on one ovary or both. A breeding sow may show decreased fertility. Pet guinea pigs may develop bilaterally symmetrical hair loss over the trunk and flanks. Ovarian cysts can be diagnosed through ultrasound. Medical treatment with chorionic gonadotropin injections may be attempted, and cysts may be drained with ultrasound-guided needle aspiration, but these treatments will usually only result in temporary improvement and the cysts may return. Surgery to remove the affected ovaries is curative, and usually a complete ovariohysterectomy is performed (commonly called a "spay").
Last edited by pigpal on Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:40 am

I know Pinta feels they are much less frequent than reported (she has only encountered a few) but certainly something to watch out for.

briana d

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:30 am

Well I took Fat Girl to the vet on suspicion on mites. She had a lot of hair loss and she was scratching a lot! I also have Charlie house with Fat Girl and he is fine which led me vet to think it wasn´t mites. He did a skin scraping and didn´t see any mites but did give a dose of ivermectin. He is also testing for a fungus, I should know the results of the in 10 days. He said if that all fails he´s thinking ovarian cysts. He said the estrogen is all out a whack which could cause the hair loss and the itches. He suggested either an ultra sound or exploratory. I just don´t like the way exploratory sounds so I´d probably go with the ultra sound. Fat Girl hasn´t for sure but diagnosed with ovarian cysts, I just wanted to get everyone´s opinion and learn about this. My vet also said that cysts are kind of common in guinea pigs of her age which is almost 2 years old.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 11:55 am

For what it´s worth, Snowflake did not look like her hairloss from ovarian cysts caused any itchiness (no scratching at her sides -- I did catch her pulling out some of the hair once though). Keep in mind not all pigs with mites will have an outbreak. Sometimes they are compromised and it will become more severe in one pig but not another.

If it is mites, all pigs must be treated. Just treating her may determine if it is mites (she should show improvement) but if it appears she does have them, you´ll have to go back and get everyone treated as the other pigs will be carriers.

Good luck. The ultrasound is definitely a less invasive option.

Where is the hairloss? What makes you think her hormones are out of whack?

briana d

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:18 pm

Her hair loss is on her back and a spot on each one of her sides. My vet told me that if she has ovarian cysts it can cause weird things to happen with her estrogen. He said that would be the reason for the hair loss and the scratching. First we´re seeing if it mites, if not then a fungus, and then the possibilities of cysts.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:27 pm

I think it much more likely from your description that it is mites. I expect you will see improvement before long.

briana d

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:37 pm

I hope so. I much rather her have a fungas or mites then ovarian cysts. Well I really much rather her be perfect and healthy. Fat Girl has had a bad enough life. I´m keeping an extra close eye on her to see if the ivermectin will help clear up her bald spots. If it does help and she´s positive for mites, then all the piggies will get ivermectin for 3 weeks.
Last edited by briana d on Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

my2piggies

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:50 pm

Hi Briana, your vet is following the same pattern mine did, first eliminating mites, then fungal infection. Our pig also had hair loss on her back but not on her sides. I was also told this could be a hormone related problem. Hopefully your piggie will show signs of improvement and it will just turn out to be mites. If neither the mite or fungal treatment works, go for the ultrasound before exploratory investigation, as said above it is much less invasive and the piggie doesn´t need to anethetised (sp).