Ovarian Cysts

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:05 pm

My cystic pigs have never appeared to be itchy.

And usually cysts can be palpated unless they are very close to an organ.

I think cysts are more likely to appear after the age of 3. And I believe Josephine as well as Vicki of Jack Pine Guinea Pig Rescue also haven´t noted as high a number of cystic pigs as the med texts claim as a norm.

I think we discussed this in another thread. Try doing a search on ovarian cysts.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:15 pm

I did feel an ovarian cyst in a pig once (not my own). It was very prominent and noticeable. You couldn´t tell anything from feeling Snowflake -- and she is not fat. I think ovarian cysts may be softer and not readily felt or denser and more easily palpated.

Snowflake was about 2 1/2.

pinta

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:26 pm

I think out of 5 or 6 cystic pigs only one was relatively young(2 years). The others were 3 1/2 to 4 years when their cysts symptoms became obvious. That isn´t to say the cysts weren´t there earlier, however.

The young one with the cysts is also hyperthyroid and has heart disease. Doesn´t rain but it pours.

We just had an ultrasound recheck on a pig with typical hair loss that would appear to be hormone related. Not a cyst in sight. Another pig we had ultrasounded for cysts(bilateral hairloss) turned out to have Cushings Disease. Not cyst in sight.

Evangeline

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:07 pm

When you say your vet gave a dose of ivermectin, I hope you mean all pigs were treated. Otherwise it´s useless.

Also, skin scrappings are known to be extremely inaccurate, so don,t bother doing them again.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 7:15 pm

If you mean Briana, I think she said, "If it does help and she´s positive for mites, then all the piggies will get ivermectin for 3 weeks." So she knows the other pigs will need treatment if it is mites. And of course the pig with the mites will need retreatment.