Thanksgiving for Pigs

Sabriel MoonStar

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:25 pm

Next time my husband has a pommegranite I'll have to try it. I can't stand them, but my husband loves them. They must be an aquired taste. My husband has eaten them since he was a child but I had never even heard of them untill I started dating him.

I have a feeling Lina and Spinel will like them. Lina eats everything and Spinel loves odd things like fennel.

Brimstone
For Rocky

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:42 pm

My guys love raw cranberries. I give them some whole (which are also fun for the cats to bat around the floor), and when I make cranberry-orange relish I set some aside for the pigs before I add sugar to the rest. They love it! Rocky also goes nuts for canned pumpkin. Just make sure it's the pure stuff with no spices or anything added.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:08 pm

My pigs really like sweet potatoes. I buy one every three or four months and split it among everybody. They haven't had one in a while, and I plan to make some kind of yam dish for Thanksgiving, so that'll be a good treat. :)

I mostly just plan to give them a big feast of the regular veggies, with maybe a few extra special treats thrown in.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:36 pm

chii do you cook the sweet potatoes or do you give raw?
Ok let me make sure I understand, it is ok to give fresh cranberries, sweet potatoes, pommegranite all in small amounts. Oh and canned pumpkin (plain not spiced). On the pumpkin do you just spoon out some on a plate or what? I am always afraid I am going to poison the poor girls so I error on the side of caution, UNLESS I know you all do it and all is well.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:46 pm

All of that is fine. Yes, just spoon them a little pumpkin.

You mean somebody can actually eat bananas in their house and not get attacked by piggies who are intent on eating it themselves? All five of mine can smell them from 30 feet away and will let you know instantly that you had better share! Partially frozen banana slices are one of their favorite treats in the summer.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:48 pm

I did try bananas but my girls would not try them. I have tried a few times and they just pick over them for whatever else is there.

Thanks Mamma for the help advise.

chii
I Love Lucy

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:50 pm

I feed them raw. They lose nutrients if you cook them.

Ooh, our pigs go nuts for bananas. :)

twofinepigs

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:51 pm

Mine can take or leave bananas. They really like crispy stuff more than goopy stuff. Hoove won't eat the inside of a tomato, not the seeds or the wet stuff. So I don't know how cooked sweet potato or canned pumpkin will go over, but it will be fun to give them things to sample!

I think they would probably prefer the raw cranberries to the cooked ones, but I will save a few of each before I make the chutney, just in case.

dgarriques
Got Pigs?

Post   » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:52 pm

Raw sweet potatoes, ok I will cube some up this Thanksgiving for the girls. Thanks Chii.

JoePig

Post   » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:07 pm

Mine won't eat bananas, but they'll eat slices of raw plaintains.

I tried raw pumpkin on them, but only one tried it. Same with the sweet potatoes. I'll have to try a little cooked/canned pumpkin. I wonder how they will like the texture?

As for broccoli? Mine only eat the leaves. It makes me feel strange when I'm in the produce department pulling all the leaves out of the broccili bin.