Help needed...piggie with bloody scabs

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:39 pm

I think the interval between dosing isn't based on the dose but on the life cycle of the mite. If you wait too long, a new cycle gets started. The first dose gets adults, the second gets newly-hatched mites, hopefully the third polishes off everything that was alive/has hatched. If you don't catch them in time, the new hatchlings can reproduce.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:44 pm

2 weeks would probably work. I like 7 to 10 days better. I use a needled syringe to put droplets behind Snowflake's ears.

You need to get yerself some ivermectin, GP Lover. It would make this a snap -- you'd save money in the long run and it would be very convenient.

I'm glad to hear he'll be getting a new home.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:52 pm

"You need to get yerself some ivermectin, GP Lover."

I have no feed stores around me. Can I order some online???

"I'm glad to hear he'll be getting a new home."

I hope so! I'm trying!!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:05 pm

Yes, you can get it online from vallyvet. It's cheap and has a long shelf life (room temp in the dark).

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:09 pm

Get some syringes with needles while you are online, since you need them to draw the ivermectin out of the sealed bottle. I got some with snap on/off needles, very convenient to clean and store. They have plastic covers for the needle itself. I draw up some ivermectin, then carefully dispense it into 1.0 cc syringes to then dose the pigs (without needle).

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:45 pm

OOPS! I made a mistake. I am to give him the injection 7 days apart!!! Sorry about that. I was so upset about this situation I forgot.

A huge filling fell out of my tooth while I was in the vets waiting room. I'm having a bad day.

thanks for the info on the Ivermectin. I wish I had had time but I needed him treated right away. I will purchase some to have on hand for the future.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:51 pm

It's only a small savings -- it was probably a good idea to have him looked at anyway.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:32 pm

So glad you could save this little guy. Sorry I don't live closer to help you find him a home!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:17 pm

This is what poor Jasper looked like the night I picked him up. He has since improved but the worse sore is on the other side and is still bloody.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:48 pm

I looked at the Vallevet site. I wouldn't know which one to order. Can anybody help?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:42 pm

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:51 pm

Ivomec online

Could someone delete the above post? When dealing with the emergency and med forum, it think it's important to make sure the screen stays in tact. Thanks.