oxytetracycline

kleenmama
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:42 pm

Thanks for fixing my screw-up Lynx. Man, that took some time to catch, didn´t it? And yes, I meant doxy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:50 pm

Well, I had to have read it a dozen times at least in writing and proof reading. You probably just wrote it down and that was that.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Mar 21, 2002 11:29 am

Tetracyclines can cause many GIT problems, including the diarrhea seen with the imbalance of flora in the cecum. It should be used with extreme caution (if at all) and under the supervision of a reputable veterinarian. I do not know of any good cavy vets in my area who will Rx any tetracycline drug as a first choice, although the class is good for upper respiratory conditions and some cultured microbes.

Dosing any drug in the drinking water is poor medicine, can be dangerous, and also can be ineffective. You never know exactly how much the animal is getting and sometimes it can cause the pig to drink less (causing more problems). Many drugs are rendered ineffective or change quickly when exposed to water, moisture, light, and air. Tetracyclines specifically make animals more sensitive to light (sunburning, etc.) and can cause bone density problems (brittle bones) in young animals, and/or yellowing of the teeth (affecting the dentin) in certain species. Dairy products, including yougurt, render tetracyclines ineffective, so any probiotics given should be non-dairy (not hard to find at a health food market or well-stocked supermarket).

I still caution anyone giving any tetracycline antibiotic derivative, but in some instances they can be warranted. Careful usage and monitoring should be applied to all such antibiotics. I do not believe that they should be a first choice in any animal.