How bad is this?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:33 pm

Since it appears chronic a few days' wait is not an enormous problem, but it needs treatment sooner than later. It appears to be some sort of ulcerated mass. Things like that need to be surgically removed and sent in for a histopath. Other treatments will not fix the problem. I'd be hesitant to say it's benign without a histo since we know so little.

Which shelter is this pig in? Or I guess more directly, how far is it from the Sacramento area?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:36 pm

Sadly, he's a very long way from Sacramento - in Los Angeles.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:38 pm

Mum, I can help contribute something to the surgery as well.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:39 pm

Bummer.

I'd be worried about sepsis and other issues if it's left like that too long. It sounds like someone needs to make a decision to treat or euthanize, since the long-term prognosis with topical treatment would appear to be poor. Keeping it clean is good, but it needs a lot more than that.

If there is any way to get the pig out of the shelter and treated, it would be a good day for this pig.

rachelm

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:35 pm

Mum, I would be prepared to make a contribution to treating this pig too. I am in the UK though, so would need to send you the money via PayPal. But all the same, it would be a bit of help towards the cost.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:27 pm

You are all so kind for offering to help. I'll have to see how much it will be and take if from there.

But, in the meantime, my daughter has told me that I must go and get this pig and get him stitched up. In fact, she's willing to give up her pocket money for 6 months so we can help him/her!

I have one problem. My vet (and I would rather not to to any other) is only in the office on Monday and Tuesday. The shelter is closed on Monday. I have to work on Tuesday morning and I can't get to the shelter in time to get the pig and have my vet do the necessary surgery. Is there anybody who would be able to go and get the pig and bring it up to me in Chatsworth? I probably need to have him around 12:00, since this is when my vet usually does his surgeries.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:49 pm

I hope things work out for this guinea pig. If you're able to get her and have it removed, let me know what your vet thinks it is.

Corrine
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:00 am

Damn, I wish I were closer to L.A. Just out of curiosity, what shelter is this poor pig at?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:09 am

He's at North Central.

Sparkles N Daisy

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:02 am

Mum, let me know what I can do to help. Is North Central actually in LA or is it in the valley?

In all honesty, I do not think I can get to LA. I work in Woodland Hills. If anyone can drive the piggie from LA to Woodland Hills (or anywhere near), I can take an extended lunch break and get the pig to your vet.

Also, I can make a donation to the cause.

I'm really concerned that the piggie may be in pain. I have leftover Metacam from Daisy's dental work, if that helps any.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:41 am

Sus thinks she can get the pig to me tomorrow (it's the North Central animal shelter in LA).

I'm going to consult with my vet today and see if he thinks he can take care of this little one and give me a rough idea of the cost involved.

He/she doesn't like to be touched (not surprisingly), so we'll have to get creative in our handling.

Keep your fingers crossed that a simple surgery can take care of the problem. Worst case (and not for financial reasons), I can at least make sure he's humanely euthenized. This poor pig has suffered way too long. Best case we can fix the problem and he/she can be nursed back to full health.

Sparkles - you might be having a third pig for the sleepover party after Christmas :-)

Sparkles N Daisy

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:44 pm

Sparkles - you might be having a third pig for the sleepover party after Christmas :-)

HeeHee. Shhh, don't say it too loud, The Husband might hear. Do we know if the piggie is a girl or boy yet?