Help needed...piggie with bloody scabs

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:10 pm

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize it would take so long O:(.
The poor guy!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:43 pm

A steroid (Dex or pred) would help in the meantime. Anyone near GP Lover that has some they'd be willing to share?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:05 pm

HA! The animal control officer just called...she's on her way over to pick up the cats!

Turns out an electrician went to the house and accidentally let the cats out of the basement. He called the health dept. for some reason and they contacted animal control. She went yesterday and found only 1 cat and the bird had been eaten by something. She said a raccoon may have gotten in the house because she found "half a tail of some animal on the living room floor and blood in the bird cage". How awful for the poor bird.

She called to ask me how many cats are supposed to be there. She also apologized and said "everything you said was true...I should have done something but we get a lot of crank calls...". DUH!!!!!

So, now I know for sure that I saved Jasper's life. His cage was right under the bird cage!

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:05 pm

Oh man. Bless you again for taking him.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:27 pm

Update: I bought the Ivermec, 1% injectable solution. I want to treat my girls because they are starting to itch and I'm worried they'll get infected too.

My question is based on the dosage chart, let's say for Annabelle, I'm supposed to give her 0.035cc. All I have in the house are .5 and 1cc syringes. Does this mean I need to get a smaller syringe to do this? It seems like such a small amount to measure.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:53 pm

You need the Ivomec 1% injectable for cattle and swine. And you use it topically, a tiny drop in the bottom of a 1cc syringe.
This was posted my MUM on the "wood allergies" thread here in the Emergency forum.

Is it okay to dose like this?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:12 pm

Yes, you draw up just a tiny bit in the bottom of the syringe. I usually use a 1cc syringe. All you have are a couple of drops. I put one behind each ear, and rub it in with the finger of a surgical glove (you don't need one, it just ensures that the Ivermectin goes on the pig and not on you).

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:27 pm

I actually measure my dose according to the dosing guidelines on the main GL site. I am bad bad bad with numbers, but it is something like .05 cc for my pigs? Essentially a drop, but I like to measure just to be sure.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:28 pm

Sorry, I meant to say, be sure to measure the correct dose exactly. Most of my pigs are around .05 to .06, but a smaller pig would be less of course.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:30 pm

You can also fold over the loose pig skin and rub the ivermectin in that way, if you don't have gloves.

How's your cute boy doin' GP Lover?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:51 pm

It will help if you print this out:

www.guinealynx.info/topical_ivermectin.html

Just look for the right range. It doesn't have to be accurate to hundreths. Rounding is okay.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:16 am

Lynx, I am referring to the chart when I ask the question....how do you measure 0.035cc???? Round it to what? The smallest syringe I have is .5cc. These dosages seem so small I don't understand how to do this.

"How's your cute boy doin' GP Lover?"

He's still scratching so I need to keep him wrapped up. I can't keep the wrap off until I know he won't scratch it. I have no idea if the second shot (the one I gave him) is doing anything because he ran from me and I don't know where the medication ended up.

I would prefer his next treatment be topical but I am trying to figure out how to do it.