Follicular Cyst (often erroneously called Sebaceous Cyst)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:18 pm

You don't think so? What would the waxy material inside be?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:20 pm

I was told the waxy stuff was glandular material.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:27 pm

Yeah, keratin.

There are many types of cysts. Sebaceous cysts are only one type. Many are benign, but they can get secondary infections.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:31 pm

Then I'm still on the right track, no? I quoted this from Merck:

"Infundibular follicular cysts (epidermoid cysts, epidermal inclusion cysts, often erroneously called sebaceous cysts) are the most common ... they are filled with a gray, brown, or yellowish, granular, “cheesy” material that is lumenal keratin."

So, not sebaceous cyst but a follicular cyst filled with keratin then.

How would you have removed the keratin?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:35 pm

Yes, on the right track. It's just not "sebaceous," although that term can be a blanket term for anything having to do with the skin. Sebaceous cysts are generally much larger. And grosser! (Like my command of the English language?)

Remove them surgically. Sometimes vets will drain with a needle or they will rupture, reform, and cycle through a rupture/reform cycle.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:36 pm

I found a cool pdf with a laser technique for removing them -- they pull out the "wall".

http://www.accuvet.com/pdf/sebaceous_cyst_technique.pdf

It's so thick that I don't think draining would do any good.

lisam

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:13 pm

Oh, thanks for the information, Lynx. I'm sure Beru will be very happy to know I won't be squeezing it anymore.

What kind of animal is that they are using that laser procedure on?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:50 pm

I don't know. Neat pics though, no? It looks like they grab the material with a forceps and pull it out. I wonder if we could do that? Perhaps a very narrow tweezers?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:50 pm

Ha! Cute change of the title, O Sage One.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:56 pm

We might as well get it straightened out early! [I take it the follicular cyst moniker works?]

JHand
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:42 pm

The page didn't download completely for me. I just got the title page.

Those are awesome pics, Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:50 pm

JHand, there doesn't seem to be a scrollbar on the side but I was able to scroll to see the other pages.

I thought the pics I posted were pretty cool too.

As I was looking around for info on sebaceous cysts, I see how often pics are lacking. I think it's wonderful when people can post photos so we can see precisely what something looks like (like the prolapsed rectum on another thread). One time someone posted the horrible genital swelling on her sow. Well it turned out she had a boar.

Pics can indeed be priceless.

By the way, Snowflake mostly patiently let me remove more of the keratin -- I used a worn dental tool I have -- curved, not very sharp, to kind of catch and lift off some of it. It seems to be looking much better (not as large a pore).