Help needed...piggie with bloody scabs

PauloF

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:39 am

In this case round it to 0.04, which corresponds to about 1/10 of your 0.5cc syringe. I am not sure what are the subdivisons on a 0.5cc syringe, but I believe they should be easy to read/understand.

With a 1cc syringe, you have ten subdivisions corresponding to 0.1cc each. Each of these 0.1 subdivisions has five smaller subdivisions, each one corresponding to 0.02cc.

For your cavy, you need two of these divisions to get the rounded up 0.04cc dose.

I hope it helps.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:50 am

Thanks Paulo. The first measure on the .5cc syringe is .05 so I need just a tad under that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:05 pm

Let me know if this helps:

The yellow on the syringe is 0.05cc and the pink is 0.01cc. And I just added some aqua to show what 0.1cc would be.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:49 am

Lynx, I apologize but your syringe has me more confused. I am finding the whole thing confusing, unfortunately.

I took a 1cc syringe, added a tip adapter, stuck it in the Ivomec and withdrew a small amount, less than half a cc. I then put one small drop behind everyone's ear.

Is this okay?

Unfortunately, Jasper is now scratching more than ever! I still have him wrapped up to prevent the scabs from being opened up again. He had two shots and 1 topical treatment in the last 3 weeks.

The vet was disappointed I gave him the 2nd shot after 7 days. He told me 2 weeks was what he said and it was based on the dosage. Well, anyway, I don't think the 2nd shot when in him anyway so that's why I gave him a topical treatment yesterday.

So, I have one shot left. The vet offered to give it to him if I can't. So, is the injection better or the topical for his 4th treatment?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:58 am

If the dose rate is 0.5mg/kg, I would give it topically. If the dose rate is 0.2mg/kg, I would give it orally.

You have things confused. I think you gave the right dose but you are not reading things right. You said you gave a small amount, less than half a cc. What you probably gave was a small amount, less than half of a tenth of a cc.

The syringe pictured above is one cc. A half a cc means it would be filled all the way up to the 0.5cc mark (where the aqua color begins). It would be many drops, not a couple of drops.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:34 am

"If the dose rate is 0.5mg/kg, I would give it topically. If the dose rate is 0.2mg/kg, I would give it orally."

I don't know what the dose rate is in the syringe. Are you suggesting I give the dose in the syringe orally?

I have the 1% Ivomec injectable on hand that I used topically on my girls and Jasper.

Yes, I understand now...I gave less than 1/2 a tenth of a cc. Is that an okay dose?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:13 pm

Tell me how much one of your pigs weigh and how much you gave of the 1% solution and I can tell you what the rate was (if it's the topical or oral rate).

mg/kg is how many mg a pig of a kilo should get.

cc is the dose itself. Your solution is 10mg/cc so if you gave a whole cc to a pig weighing a kilo, you would be giving 10mg/kg -- waaaay too much (20 times what they should get topically).

The relationship between mg, cc, and weight can be confusing.

It's explained best in the medical guide under dosing.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:11 pm

Annabelle weighs 750 grams and I used the chart for the 1% injectable solution to come up with the .04cc dose.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:27 pm

That's the topical dose (0.5mg/kg). Looks like you figured it fine. If you gave it orally or by injection, we generally recommend less.

Good luck getting rid of those mites!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:42 pm

Please help somebody! I just removed Jasper's bandages to check him. His scabs were dried up and I decided to put him back in the cage unwrapped.

It took him all of 45 seconds to scratch open two scabs to the point of being bloody. When I first put him down he scratched at himself so bad I THINK he had a seizure...he fell over on his side and his whole body was trembling. I quickly picked him up and put him on my kitchen counter. He was unresponsive and his toes began to curl up!! It was quite scary. I just kept petting his head and talking to him and he came out of it. I thought I was watching him die.

I now have him wrapped up again. I can't take much more of this. It's three weeks, three ivermectin treatments and he's still scratching!!!

I have Prednisolone in the house left over from Angel. Can I and should I give him that? I'll be seeing the vet Monday with Elsie getting her teeth clipped so if there's something else that might help I can ask him for it then.

tkkats
4 the Angels

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:51 pm

Maybe he has a fungus infection on top of the mites?

I prefer the topical ivermectin over the injectible simply because I think it works faster. I use Sheep Drench Ivomec and I love the stuff.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:27 pm

That does sound scary, GP Lover. I can see how frustrating it is thinking he should be healed up and then having him bite at himself. Are you seeing any improvement? Maybe the scabs need to heal over and fall off first. Being wrapped up I'm sure aggravates the itchiness. I would write Josephine and ask about the prednisone or see if you can consult with your vet by phone.