What is in your GP medicine cabinet?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:15 pm

What's leukotape?

Vet wrap is cool. As I said, really cheap too.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:18 pm

http://www.wisdomking.com/product18715.html

It's a sports wrap/tape. My husband always has it for his knees. Vetwrap is better (and cheaper) for someone that is going to buy it for an E kit.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:33 pm

This is a great thread! I was just out, and based on others' lists I bought vetwrap and aloe/vit e cream (horse) for lubricating things like itchy stitches:-)

Kylnne, what is septi-soft?

klynne

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:06 pm

I keep the Albon around for rescues who come in with coccidia. That is the only indication I've ever used it for. It is just a general thing I keep on hand in the first aid kit, something I wouldn't be without for ones who come in with poopy butt and can't get to the vet til the next day or so.

Septi-soft is hospital product for cleaning perineal area--has soy and coconut oil and works great plus kills a bit of the boar butt smell.

This is a very helpful thread.

Poor Baby Cuzko
My piggy made me give!

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:24 pm

Gosh, I have almost nothing.

Critical Care
2 needle syringes
lots of needless syringes (2 different sizes)
scale
baby gas drops

I tend to throw old medicine out. And my vet won't give me any other stuff to keep on hand.

Sunny

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:05 pm

Klynne, I love that you have laminated disaster preparedness pages attached to the cages. Brilliant!

Wheekers3, why canned pumpkin?

Sabriel MoonStar

Post   » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:50 pm

Some pigs like canned pumpkin mixed with thier mash/CC. Spinel likes real pumpkin. We bought a pumpkin for hallowe'en and never carved it so I gutted it and carved all the flesh from the inside of it and froze it. So I take a handful of the frozen pumpkin, boil it, mash it like potatoes and add it to the mix. I assume that's pretty much what they do at the pumpkin canning plant, but not as fresh.

I have freaks for pigs, I swear.

Piggster

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:38 am

Critical Care
Acidophilous
Metacam
Quik Stop Styptic Powder
Betadine
Some leftover Baytril (in fridge) and Bactrim
Extra 1 cc syringes, one larger curved tip, one 10 cc syringe
Revolution
Ivermectin

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:07 pm

Forgot about monistat.

Wheekers3

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:00 pm

Sunny,
A Lab person at Oxbox who helped us when my Spunky was failing terribly said to try it, when the Critical Care wasn't coming as fast as they promised it would. She gave me a few tips to try and get him to eat.

The pumkin is supposed to be really high in fiber and has some good nutrients when all else fails. She also said that adding anise to some foods will attract a not hungry piggie to eat. It is the flavoring in their most popular formula of Critical Care. ( that licorice smell ) She said something like 9 out of 10 pigs go crazy for it. She even suggested putting the pumpkin in the empty Critical Care package just to flavor it a little.

sgprescue

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:38 pm

Blimey, you all have a lot in your medicine chests. I have the following (probably got a lot more but cant think of them all off the top of my head)

Baytril (oral)
Ivermectin (inj)
Septrin
Marbocyl (inj)
Engemycin (inj)
Metacam
Rimadyl tablets
Diazapam
Calpol
Fucithalmic eye cream
Infacol (simethicone)
Betadine
Ascerbine
Metatone
Entrodex (probiotic)
Panacur
Ear drops
Vicks
Olbas oi
Gorgeous guineas oil soaks and shampoos
Gorgeous guineas cocoa butter cream
Gorgeous guineas anti-fungal cream
Imaverol (although I prefer to use oil soaks these days)
Fulcin
Hibiscrub
Daktarin oral gel
Orabase
Tubigrip
Sterile needles and syringes
IV bag (for subcut fluids)
Cotton buds
Cotton wool pads
Sterile blades (for lancing abscesses)
Bucal pad seperators and bone roungers
Nail clippers
Stitch scissors

Cheryl
Sprowston guinea pig rescue

JD 2 Be

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:16 pm

I feel like I'm seriously lacking here:

Vitamin C tablets
Ivermectin
Unflavored Pedialyte (for the kids and the pig)
Baytril
Various and sundry syringes
An eyedropper or two (why, I don't know. They might do in a pinch if the syringes walk off, which they tend to do in a house full of kids)
Baby-sized nail clippers
And the all important cornstarch. I have so much trouble clipping the nails on one of Cloudy's toes. She has two growing out of it and they wind around each other. It's a wonder she doesn't hate me.