Help needed...piggie with bloody scabs

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:30 pm

I do see improvement after a day because I put Bacitracin on the bloody scabs. So, they are dried up by the next day. However, I must keep him wrapped up or else he scratches himself till he bleeds again....it's a vicious cycle.

I think being wrapped up makes it worse too..but if I leave him unwrapped the result will be the same! It's so frustrating. O:(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:46 pm

I understand. Those collars to keep him from biting look so darn uncomfortable and even dangerous. No idea if the Chew Guard I'm always posting would help or not. Pic on the supplies page.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:26 pm

You may want to ask your vet about Revolution (selamectin). Topically applied, it does not have ivermectin's proven safety record and opinions toward its use on this board are, I think, mixed. But I believe it can work quicker and can address entrenched cases better and faster than ivermectin.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:37 pm

Isn't there something I can bathe him in or put on his skin for the itching? He's still scratching!

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:40 pm

Steroid shot? Poor guy. With scabs I wouldn't bathe. I'd keep him wrapped and keep going with mite treatments. Sometimes with mites that bad it could take double the time.

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:54 pm

Bathing will aggravate the mites and make him hurt more. Poor guy. I would ask the vet for a steroid shot, definitely.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:19 pm

Thanks...I'm seeing the vet tomorrow.

lisam

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:35 pm

Good luck, please keep us informed.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:46 pm

Steriod shots sound like a possibility to me too.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:50 pm

Okay, Dr. S said Jasper was having a seizure. He is surprised that he's still suffering and wants me to bring him in. He said the med in the syringe he gave me is more effective and potent than the 1% injectable I have. The problem is I am the one who gave him the 2nd injection but I have no idea where the solution went...everything happened so fast and Jasper bolted from me so I cannot be sure the Ivermectin went in. So, he's due for a treatment Friday and Dr. S may give him a dip of something that should take care of it he said.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:04 pm

I wonder what he plans on doing? I hope it isn't an insecticide. Poor Jasper does deserve to be healed.

lisam

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:45 pm

I'm confused--you tried to inject the ivermectin yourself?

Don't let him dip the pig in Lymdip. I wish he had given him a steroid shot. What was his reason not to?