Help needed...piggie with bloody scabs

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:57 pm

"I'm confused--you tried to inject the ivermectin yourself?"

Yes, he gave me two syringes pre-loaded so I could do it myself at home.

I wasn't there tonight with Jasper..I was there with Elsie getting her teeth clipped but I spoke to him about Jasper. It's too soon to do anything because I gave him a topical treatment last Wednesday.

He said a steroid shot may be what he'd do but he'd like to see him first. He said the dip would be something that should alleviate any other skin conditions that may be going on that may be causing him to itch.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:43 pm

Tonight Jasper got another Ivermectin injection but from the vet rather than me. At least now I know he got it in his system.

He also gave him a lyme/sulfur dip which he said would help get rid of any fungus or other skin conditions which may be contributing to the scratching. He also put him on Baytril this time. He smells like rotten eggs! i am to observe him and if he's still scratching in another 7-10 days I am to call.

Swannie...I saw your holiday card hanging up in the office! It's adorable!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:52 pm

I truly truly hope this works for him, GP Lover. It's about time he had some relief!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:54 pm

Thanks! He's still scratching..O:(

Hopefully the injection will start to take affect in the next few days.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:59 pm

Ugh! He had a seizure...I happen to be standing by the cage when it happened. He went over on his back so i was able to put him upright and he snapped out of it.

The vet was still at the office so I spoke to him about a steroid shot. He said we now need to wait a few days so we'll know if the Ivermectin will work or not. So, in a few days I may have to bring him back for the steroid.

He's now bandaged back up so I know he won't be having any more seizures for now. O:(

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:22 pm

Oh no, I'm so sorry. I do remember reading that very stubborn cases of mites sometimes responded better to Revolution - you might want to try that?

Sure hope he gets better soon.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:35 pm

It's too late now to start with Revolution. He just got an Ivermectin shot. If I end up going back for the steroid then I'll ask the vet about that.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:39 pm

I believe you can use them both concurrently.

swannie
For the love of pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:35 pm

Ugh, poor guy! This is turning out to be quite a struggle for you both. I hope he's on the road to recovery now.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:16 pm

Not sure about ivemectin and Revolution concurrently. Advantage topically and ivermectin orally/by injection work okay though.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:30 pm

Ah ok.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:02 am

Update: last night I decided to remove Jasper's bandage but this time keep him out of the cage for an extended period of time to see what would happen. I held him in a towel on my lap for about 1/2 an hour and he didn't scratch once. I then put pine down in his cage instead of carefresh and when I put him down in the cage he did not go crazy and run around and he didn't scratch and have a seizure like usual.

So, after being in the room with him for 1/2 hr while he was in the cage I did not see him scratch at all.

This morning when I woke up I found him with 3 sores open and bleeding. He scratched during the night.

Today I'm taking him in for a steroid shot. Does this still sound like it could be mites? This is so frustrating!