How bad is this?

pinta

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:17 pm

The first growth wheatgrass might be high in chlorophyll. Older animals tend to get diarrhea from the rich first grass of spring and should only get limited amounts until their systemns have adjusted. Second growth grass isn't as rich and is easier on them. Horses have the same issue.

Some pigs get soft poop from Baytril and some just a decreased appetite. Some tolerate it well. Depends on the pig.

Gas in the tummy can indicate a heart pig. When they eat they tend to intake air at the same time(I think that's how it works).

Lasix is dehydrating so watch that he's getting enough fluids.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:55 pm

Thanks Pinta. It is first growth, so maybe that's the problem.

I was out for most of the day, and when I came back tonight I noticed that again there was no poop in the cage. Something is clearly playing havoc with his digestive system, so I think I'd better take the wheatgrass away and see if things settle down. And maybe that's what's causing the gas too.

As we know he is a heart pig, should I just always give him simethicone and/or reglan twice a day? I can't tell if he does have gas or not. Is there any harm in giving these drugs?

He's drinking well luckily, so I think we're ok with that issue.

pinta

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:02 am

I only give Reglan to stimulate the gut. I think the simethicone is fine but I don't think the Reglan is necessary. The Reglan will keep the food moving thru so it doesn't ferment in the tummy causing gas. I don't think it will help if he's swallowing air. At least I think that's the logical sequence of events.

Reduce fresh veggies and gently massage the tummy while holding him on his back in your lap. That might help work the gas thru.

When the poops are good, slowly reintroduce fresh stuff and wheat grass in very small amounts until his system is used to it.

Lots of hay is ideal for the diet.

whittibo

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:54 am

Poor little guy! And poor mum!!

I hope you can soon find what's right for him, and what will make him feel better. Keep up the good work. It has to be exhausting, but in the long run, it will be worth it!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:24 am

Well, there were a kazillion poos in the cage this morning.

I fed him again last night, minus the Odwalla, and I'm going to skip the wheatgrass today. I think the Odwalla and the wheatgrass together might have been the culprit - I realized the soft poos and the wheatgrass might have been connected, and the same with the gas which wasn't shown on the x-ray taken the previous week (prior to wheatgrass introduction).

Just as my special wheatgrass growing kit arrived by UPS :-( But all the other piggies love it, and so it won't go to waste.

How long can I expect to continue handfeeding him for, I'm wondering? It's been 2 1/2 weeks now!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:13 pm

Spot just had his first bath and is looking positively spiffy now:

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:16 pm

What a cute little goofball. I hope he continues to get stronger. You are an angel!

Corrine
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:03 pm

Awww, look at the little white fuzzers growing back on his bald patch! And he's even showing off a poop for us! Yay Spot!!

EllieMom

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:16 pm

He looks great...nice sparkly little eyes compared to the sick, worried look he had in the first picture you posted. What a lucky pig to have found someone like you!

whittibo

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:22 pm

Oh Spot is adorable. I love the 'sheepish' look in the 2nd picture.

And I love the SPOT on his ear. ;)

klynne

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:57 pm

Oh Mum, he is beautiful! His eyes look so much happier.

I do hope he starts eating on his own soon. Believe me, I know you haven't complained, but I also know how exhausting handfeeding can be sometimes. Perhaps you will be able to cut back soon and then wean him away from it altogether.

babybutterscotch

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:50 pm

Mum,

He is so cute!! How anyone could abandon him is beond me. He is very lucky to have you. Glad to hear he is on the road to recovery. Please keep us updated.