Fleece Comparisons

whittibo

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:56 pm

That's what I was hoping, doing their regular towels, then a layer of the cotton felt with the fleece on top.

I tried fleece bedding, but it stayed wet, someone pointed out that unless you have something to soak up the urine, yes, fleece will stay wet. If the layering of cotton felt works with the fleece, I might have you make some cage blankets for me from it. I am thinking 4 of them, and I can use them in the whole cage and just switch them out every other day like I do the towels.

I think I'll just try cutting the pieces up and layering them for now, as I don't have anything to sew with. :s

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:24 pm

You wrote: Berber – so far is the best material I’ve found. Two major cons’, is becoming harder to find and is a bit pricey. Downfalls totally outweigh the pros.

Did you mean the pros outweigh the cons?

Here are more pics:

www.guinealynx.info/photos/fleece-terry-sweatshirt.jpg
www.guinealynx.info/photos/fleece-waffle.jpg
www.guinealynx.info/photos/fleece-sweatshirt.jpg
www.guinealynx.info/photos/fleece-plush.jpg
www.guinealynx.info/photos/fleece-pants.jpg
www.guinealynx.info/photos/fleece-holiday-felt.jpg
www.guinealynx.info/photos/fleece-dot-microplush.jpg

-ly-

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:02 pm

Lynxiepoo, are you going to post the fleece I sent you here? I don't know what kind it is, but someone else may know.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:23 pm

Um, yes Lynx. That is what I meant.
*blushing*
Last edited by WindeSpirit on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:28 pm

Set two
#1 – Terry fleece, no cotton so don’t become confused, 100% polyester here.
Left side shows the topside, right side shows bottom. I have yet to use this in anything. I wouldn’t recommend it for hay areas, price is reasonable.

#2 – Waffle fleece was cropped to a pretty small area there! The textured top looks exactly like waffle indentations. The material it’s self is a cross between a anti-pill and microplush, there for the price is also a little high. I don’t feel the price is justified for using without a good sales price. It’s thickness is about ¼” inch and good for all areas and uses.

#3 – Sweatshirt fleece, 100% poly (no cotton). The fleece is always double sided, unprinted such as shown here looks exactly the same. It’s not recommended for blankets because this is a very tightly woven fabric, making pee and water harder to pass through. It’s great as a top half for such things as the Pockets I make or the Caves that Ly makes. Prices vary with solids and prints.

#4 – Plush fleece, this has a limited use to special things where hay will not become a problem in it’s plushy fibers. While it is a ideal fleece to use for all areas because of the pee it allows to pass so readily, the plushy fibers that catch everything would make you want to cut it to pieces. Not a wise option to use with health problem pigs, and NEVER use this with surgery pigs without risks. Price is reasonable.

#5 – Pants fleece. This is often used in smaller kids clothing. This is a warning – DO NOT USE THIS WITH YOUR ANIMALS. Just looking at this material and feeling it says warning, placing it on floor for use as material only human rug: shocking every time touched, snags every time anything not completely smooth touches. Enough said from my personal use so there for will not go further to test. Thickness 1/8th – 1/16th of inch

#7 – Holiday fleece felt is double sided, cannot tell which side is which often. As you can see, is sparkly in the fibers, there are no actual sparkles in this. It is good for small uses but not whole cage areas, fabric is lightweight but can become take on static easily so fabric softeners are recommended to use with this fabric. Keep in mind, softeners will also reduce the pee passing ability so use small strips or pre-used sheets and never liquid.

#8 – Dotted MicroPlush acts a bit differently the regular MicroPlush. As can see in the link, the dotted is thinner. This is because instead of the dots being crushed down (how the waffle is down) the areas instead are crushed down while the dots are untouched. With the fabric being pressed as it is, it tends to act like fur on an American breed guinea, water tends to run off. There for if this material was used in some creations that do not lay flat, it would be best used to full potential there. Thickness is roughly ¼”.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:43 pm

Here, let's try this:

[Large image:]
www.guinealynx.info/photos/fleece6.jpg

After washing once (washed great), I figure it has to be washed several more times. Some of the pee stayed at the top. Nothing ran through. It is very luxurious and soft.

cutemomomi
Obey My Authority

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:29 pm

Lynx, would you happen to know what's the difference between sherpa and berber? I've recently switched to using sherpa instead of fleece, and I am already in love with it, and the pigs love its softness and lushness too!
Momo

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:37 pm

Read WindeSpirit's description in an earlier post. She knows tons more than I do.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:24 am

So far all I can find of the fleece Ly gave you Lynx is it's a either a 'Pile' or 'Velvet Pile' from your desciption, which is also bonded/backed.
If you compare each one Ly and I sent you with your hands, which one feels more scratchy to touch?
Also, you can just guesstimate this, about how thick is the fleece top, not including the bonded backing?

The fibers do look a bit large to be a fleece though, that has me looking really hard at it.
Ly, is there any way you can send me a little 1" square?
This one is going to drive me bonkers.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:23 am

The short side is very soft and velvety. With the fibers sticking out (not squished flat), thickness is 3/8".

whittibo

Post   » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:34 am

I have come to the conclusion, Walmart only carries the basic fleece and one of the berber ones.

I went looking for fleece and didn't find anything like what you're posting. I even drove to two fabric stores to get fleece for Sasha and both have been closed down. The only place to get any fabric here in town is stupid Walmart, and their selection sucks compared to what is out there. :s

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:26 pm

You are in a warmer climate area to so they will probably not stock as much or variety as they do here. I'm sure further east will have more then what I see here (maybe). Perhaps some of the stores closer/up in the Mt. areas?
I never found a Hancock Fabrics out there, and the Jo-Ann stores sucked. I'd just order something on line, it's either pay taxes or pay shipping.