*URGENT* Passing blood...squeaking

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:10 pm

I noticed this evening while we were opening presents, that one of our boars - Zachary - was squeaking a little when he defected. We had him on the couch with us. I thought it was strange, but shrugged it off as maybe just squeaking because he was so excited about the wrapping paper and toys.

Just now, I was changing out his cage - he uses fleece - and saw blood on the towels and cage liner. I'm scared to death! He has been eating well, energetic. He will be two years old in January. He's on Oxbow Cavy Cuisine, and has been since he was about 6 months old. Timothy hay, plenty of green veggies.

I have a supply of both Bactrim and Baytril on hand. Can someone tell me what I need to do until I can get him to a vet on Monday or Tuesday??? I'm worried sick!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:12 pm

PS -- can I give cranberry juice? It's not unsweetened, but I thought maybe it would help.

Thanks again.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:19 pm

I'm not sure about the medications. Hopefully, somebody else will stop by, although if you run a search you'll probably find something. Most people seem to report blood when the pigs pee, not poop. Unsweetened cranberry juice should be fine, either in the water or undiluted. If he's got a UTI, it can't hurt. If you do think it's a UTI, search for that or check this: https://www.guinealynx.info/uti.html

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:28 pm

It's possible he has either a UTI or a stone. Most likely he is crying while peeing (or trying to pee); the poop comes along for the ride.

If it were me, I'd weigh him and give him the appropriate Bactrim dose: https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html#bactrim

... along with some probiotics about an hour later. Poop soup from a healthy companion is the best place to start.

Ditto Amy on the unsweetened cranberry juice, if he'll take it. If you put it in his water and he won't drink it, take it out and give him fresh water. You want to keep him as hydrated and flushed as possible.

If it's a stone or sludge, and since he's a he, it may not wait until Monday. How close is your ER vet --- and are they any good at all with exotics?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:37 pm

I'm not seeing any sign of sludge. Our exotics vet is over an hour away, but I'll certainly make the trip as soon as their office is open. I'm hoping they're not closed on Monday...

Thanks.

Bactrim over Baytril, then?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:42 pm

Assuming our best guess is UTI, yes.

smiley
Just Do It

Post   » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:16 pm

When my girl passed blood she had first an UTI, then she had a stone. Be careful of what you are feeding them, not too much that is high in calcium or oxalates. Good luck.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:17 pm

Also syringe fluids. Added fluids will help if it's a uti.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:01 am

Thanks, everyone. I can't believe this. I'm so darned careful about what I feed, and then to have this happen...

I went ahead and administered Bactrim until I can get ahold of our exotics vet. At 1.3 kg weight, I figured about .81cc -- that seems like a lot of Bactrim? But then I noticed that the vet prescribed it at .6cc for a slightly smaller piggie originally, so I guess I'm on track. My brain is so tired right now, I can't think straight.

Lynx, I'll take your suggestion and syringe water, although he does seem to be drinking plenty of it on his own. Also, he urinated just a little while ago on a piece of paper on the couch, and curiously enough I saw no blood at all. This, after seeing several very visible signs of it on the towels. Odd.

Why do these things always happen over the holidays or after-hours??? Amazing.

Thanks again for your help.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:45 am

Monitor for urination. No urination in a few hours (4-6) is a definite warning sign for urinary blockages. Such an occurrance is a medical emergency.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:06 am

Thanks, Josephine. He seems to be urinating normally...in fact, shortly after I posted this, he urinated on a piece of paper on the couch -- no squeak, no blood that I could discern, no sludge.

I'm going to keep up with the Bactrim until I can reach a vet. His appetite and activity are both good. I'm suspecting this is a UTI.

I found some cranberry capsules in my medicine cabinet...the kind women take to help prevent UTI's. Do you know if I could empty the contents of the capsule and mix with water, and use that? Or dumb idea?

I've had UTI's...I know how miserable they can be.

Amy0204
We miss our sweet Oreo

Post   » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:46 am

Is it natural? Is so, I don't see where that would be any different than using juice. I'm assuming you would mix it with water, but again, don't force it if he's not receptive to it. Just keep clean water coming.