Help needed...piggie with bloody scabs

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:04 am

I really have no good advice, but I was thinking of this guy last night. My son has a scab, every time it looks good he scratches it off. I tell him to let it be and he says that it itches so he itches it. Is there some way or something GP Lover could safely do until then? I know as soon as the bandage comes off the cycle starts again. Could it be that the mites are more under control and the healing itch is the problem? If I keep my sons with Neosprin it seems to stop the itchy tug. I'm not good with this stuff like most of you, but just a thought.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:22 am

Thanks for your thought! I am still waiting to speak to the vet about this sitatuation. I plan on telling her he is scratching a lot still and I need for her to get more aggressive with treatment at this point. Can you tell my patience is wearing thin???

He scratches so much there are two sores that don't get a chance to scab over. They are just raw and I keep putting antibiotic cream on them. Fortunately, we are down to just these two sores. I don't want to go back to wrapping him up because it's very stressfull for him.

He is also continuing to eat well so I take that as a good sign. He's a real trooper.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:01 am

Poor little guy! I know it's hard to press vets for something they don't want to do, but at this point I think Revolution is worth a try. It won't hurt him, and could very likely help. Good luck!

Becky

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:14 pm

Maybe his immune system is so crappy that what should heal or resolve itself just doesn't get a chance.

I sure hope this gets better. How awful for both of you.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:59 pm

Speaking of cream, is there anything you can safely slather him with to hydrate his skin? The healing may be itchy and may also be pulling on the scabs. Have you tried wrapping him or making him wear a sock sweater?

I also wonder if the new hair could be a bit itchy.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:07 pm

Okay, I need some help here. The vet gave me Revolution and a dose for children's Benadryl.

Revolution:
I had to buy a box of Revolution that has 3 pre-measured tubes in it. Each one is 0.25ml. The dosage she gave is .10ml and there was a syringe attached to the box.

I am confused as to why there is a syringe witht the box? Don't I put this on his skin and do I put a little less than half one tube?

Benadryl:
Childrens syrup has 12.5mg per 5ml teaspoonful. She gave me a dose of 2ml twice/day. Does this sound okay?

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:20 pm

I'm not sure of dosage, but you would draw that in the syringe and apply topically.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:35 pm

Those tubes don't apply "half a tube." If you have the smallest amount, it is hardly anything, and you can't really control it. Perhaps draw out the entire contents to get it all out, then transfer the amount you need into another syringe and apply behind the ear?

Good luck with the benadryl and the Revolution!

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:59 pm

So, for the Benadryl the vet has a dose too high? 2ml twice a day seems way high.

Someone please suggest a dosage for me to give Jasper. He weighs 2.8lbs.

melcvt00

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:05 pm

I don't have an exotic formulary on hand, but I do know that the dog and cat dose is 1mg/lb 2-3 times daily.

So, even at that, the dose for your pig is 1ml.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:17 pm

Okay, so to be safe I can dose 1ml twice/day?