Help needed...piggie with bloody scabs

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:41 pm

That sounds like a conservative dose to try out. Hope it works!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:35 pm

If I remember right, the Revolution comes in two strengths. You have a Cavy Health Record Book, right? It shows how to figure it in there. Also see the medications page here.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:24 pm

I agree with Snowflakey. I'd start with 1 ml twice a day of the Benadryl and see how it works. Our vet told us it is well tolerated in guinea pigs, so you may be able to up that a little, but starting at 2 ml of a 2.5 mg/ml concentration twice a day seems a little high to me.

Good luck. Hope these meds do the trick for Jasper and for you.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:17 am

Okay today I found him with another "scorch" mark on his behind. I have to agree with the vet who said it's from him biting himself. I did see him reach back there.

He's had two doses of Benadryl and the Revolution so far and I see a tiny improvement. I have no idea how long it should be before the Revolution works but I would think the Benadryl should have done something.

So, at this point I'd like to bathe him in something. Can somebody suggest a product?

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:24 am

I don't think I would do that. Again I don't have alot of experience, but I think that would only aggrivate him more. I don't recall how long it was for a bath after I used Advantage (like Revolution) on my dogs. I also remember reading over and over not to bath with mites because of aggrivation and doing more harm than good.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:31 am

Okay. Well I am at a loss at this point. I would have thought he'd stop itching by now. O:(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:34 am

Carol, I don't know if bathing is a good idea or not. But there are some suggestions for soothing shampoos on the grooming page (suggested by members here).

www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:43 am

Thanks. I was thinking of something to use for itching...like an oatmeal soap maybe? I just sat and observed him. He is still scratching although he is still down to two bloody sores. I suppose that is an improvement in itself since a few days ago he had about 4 plus those two "scorch" marks.

Maybe I just need to be more patient.

melcvt00

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:30 am

If he's scratching at specific spots consistently, you could always try Benadryl Spray.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:36 am

Thanks Mel. I'll get some today and try that. I now have more meds for the piggies than I do for me!

Barbara Osborn
Supporter from '05 - '12

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:41 am

Gosh GPLover, this has been going on since before Thanksgiving. I think you the most patient of all people. How can you think that you need to be more patient.

It all sounds so frustrating. I have a magic wand that I can send you. Shall I FedEx it?

This piggie is most fortunate to have you as his benefactor.

lisam

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:10 am

I think that if there are still active mites, the bath will irritate them and cause worse itching. If the mites are gone, and it's the healing scabs that itch, then a bath would be soothing. My idea on it, anyway.