Reoccurring bladder infections

salana
GL is Just Peachy

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:16 pm

What color is Stevie the blind and deaf pig?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:23 pm

Apple juice is heavy on natural sugars. They're just as bad as a sweetened drink.

Kallie

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:34 pm

Melcvt00, He’s had 3 urine tests and cultures done within the last several weeks, before and after the AB’s. Every time it comes back as some other type of AB resistant bacteria – it’s never been the same one twice. That’s what is so confusing. I asked Dr. Munn about him needing the SQ fluids and she said no because he was drinking a lot of water and juice, and still eating well. She would prefer to keep him hydrated naturally rather than with SQ, she said she would consider it if his fluid and food consumption decreases any. I have to trust her on this one.

Lynx, what other types of juice can I try him on since cranberry juice didn’t appeal to him?

Stevie was pure snow white with the bright pink eyes. Sadly, Stevie died last night after a long battle with teeth problems and inbreeding genetic problems – which is why we adopted him over a year ago, they were going to put him to sleep since they couldn’t adopt him out and even our Vet didn’t think he would make it beyond a couple of weeks. He certainly surprised us all, his toothless grin (missing front teeth) brought many laughs and his charming personality warmed everyone’s hearts, especially my daughters since Stevie became her “baby”.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:31 pm

Just plain water is good for him. Some people like Odwalla juice (it should probably be diluted). This may be a little too sweet too -- I don't know.

I am so sorry about Stevie. You gave him a good home and hope. It sounds like he was a lethal with genetic problems. See micropthalmia on the eye page for more: www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

melcvt00

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:36 pm

How is the urine being collected?

Kallie

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:05 pm

Thanks Lynx, Stevie was a lethal which is what attracted us to him. We saw something in him where others weren’t willing to try. He had a 1 and a half years of a lot of love and care and he sure did teach us a lot. He was always so healthy, up to 3 weeks ago. Only health problems he ever had was an eye infection and he came with mites which we quickly got cleared up. This morning was really rough, I went to prepare all the piggies breakfasts and grabbed Stevies shredded carrots out of habit. Tomorrow I will try to take down his cage and put his things away.

But for now I have 2 other piggies who need our attention, love and care so we will concentrate on that and getting Chestnut feeling better. Stinker didn’t seem to enjoy her floor time this afternoon since Stevie wasn’t there to play with, so we might think about getting her a new playmate while she is still young. Not for a while though. Ironically we got Stinker in November as a playmate for Stevie.

Kallie

Post   » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:07 pm

Melcvt00, Dr Munn seems to have a lot of luck manipulating Chestnut into peeing on her examining table and collecting it with a syringe.

Kallie

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:54 pm

This is Chestnut’s 7th day on the extended Nitrofurantoin. He was doing really good until last night when he started peeing a lot of blood again. I changed his cage towels this morning before work – hardly any blood when I got home. However, at dinner time, every time he pee’s or pooped there is blood now and he wimpers so I know it hurts him. So off to Dr. Munn’s we go again and nothing is showing up on x-rays regarding any stones, swelling etc. He was checked to rule out being impacted as well. She took another urine sample but the results won’t be in until next week (She leaves Friday for a week), but the receptionist can give me the results over the phone.

We really don’t know what else we can do to help him since Nitrofurantoin is the only AB he doesn’t seem to react badly to. He’s still eating very well, drinking lots, playing and being himself. If it wasn’t for the bleeding, I’d swear there was nothing wrong with him.

This all started just before his bladder stone removal surgery the end of October and he just cant seem to fully recover. It seems the bleeding starts getting worse as soon as his daily dose of Metacam starts to wear off. Within an hour of the next dose the bleeding either stops completely or slows down a lot.

Is there anything else we can look for that might be causing the problem that we’re over looking?

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:32 pm

He has had a recent xray, right? stones can form very quickly.

I think the clue is with the metacam. It's an NSAID. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory. It sounds like the metacam is keeping down inflammation and as the drug wears off something is getting inflamed and bleeding.

Could he have a sensitivity to something that's causing swelling somewhere? Bladder lining? Hmmmmmm - what kind of sutures were used for his first surgery? Could he be intolerant to the suture material? Seems to be a common problem with a lot of pigs.

Kallie

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:42 pm

Chestnut had an x-ray done tonight – 3rd in about as many weeks. All came clear from signs of any stones and swelling. I’m not sure what type of sutures were used inside, I never thought to ask after his surgery and his next appointment isn’t until Jan. 13th so I will ask then. On the outside, she used some type of glue to close him up. After 2 months, would his bladder be healed enough for the stitches to either dissolve or fall off depending what type the Vet used? I’ve never been through this before with any of my piggies or with any of my other animals, so I’m not sure what to expect.

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:04 pm

Don't wait til Jan 13th. Find out now what kind of sutures were used. I've had sutures erupt out of totally healed pigs weeks after surgery. Their bodied rejected them and instead of the sutures benignly dissolving, they were gradually cast out of the body thru healed skin by what I assume was the immune system response.

Josephine knows more about particular sutures than me(I know piss all about the details of the materials) - I just know many pigs are rejecting sutures that are supposed to be perfectly safe. From what you are describing, it really is pointing toward suture rejection.

-Trouble since surgery, never fully recovered.
-no stones on xray
-ABs aren't helping
-anti-infammatory seems to be the only thing really helping which indicates something is inflamed which indicates something is reacting to something else.

Kallie

Post   » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:17 pm

Your suggestion sounds exactly how Chestnut is reacting since his surgery. I will phone them first thing in the morning and ask and will post it here for you. If this is the case, how can we find out if this is what's happening and how do we solve the problem?

I really appreciate your help with this. I've gained many gray hairs these last 2 months between Chestnut and Stevie. I just don't know where else to turn with him. I hate seeing him go through all of this.