Help needed...piggie with bloody scabs

pinta

Post   » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:55 am

What about aloe vera? It's soothing and I think it's safe to ingest. Can anyone confirm?

Kallie

Post   » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:39 am

I read through the whole thread and everything you’ve tried. I’m just wondering if it could be an allergy to something in his cage, the room he is kept in, or even perhaps an allergy to something he is eating?

I know with one of my passed cats, if I used scented kitty litter, she would scratch so bad that sores will appear and hair in the area will start to fall out.

Have you tried placing him on towels that have been washed with unscented baby soap, or maybe even slowly introducing his veggies 1 at a time to see if any aggravate him, or maybe even change his pellets to a different kind? Maybe even an air purifier in his room to see if perhaps perfumes, air fresheners or even dust is bothering him?

Sorry if this seems out in left field, just trying to rattle my brain to come up with some ideas on what could be causing his severe itching since the meds don’t seem to be helping much.

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:17 am

Yikes! I would have thought at least the Benedryl would have eased the ithching a little.

Tarapay
Sorc^istino

Post   » Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:26 am

Aloe Vera is not poisonous when ingested. You can find more info on it on http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/s ... 01,00.html

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:13 am

I just did a search. I could not find a specific thread from Cara, just a few references. When I went to view all her posts there was 120 some pages to go through. I have dial up, too slow to go back that far, sorry.

I did find an old reference and lisam mentioned as many as 10 treatments to get rid of the mites. Charybdis also had a post with serious mites as well. I wish I could be more help.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:59 am

Today Jasper seems to be scratching less. It looks like he's scratching only one spot too at this point. I put the Benadryl cream on it so maybe the Revolution is starting to work. I don't think the Benadryl syrup did anything for him so today I didn't give him any.

Thanks for your support and suggestions. It means a lot to me. At times I think he's on his way to recovery and then at times I feel there's been a setback. Today is a good day so I hope it continues.

slfalzone

Post   » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:38 pm

Hurray for good days! I'm praying for more to come your way!

SylvesterPiggie

Post   » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:03 pm

Ack! OK, from what I gather it was Caras pig Happy that had the mite problems. I just can't find specifics just about that. swannie the grand finder is off having beans and runny eggs for breakfast! She is a great searcher and she just up and flys off to England, at this trying time in your life. ( I am kidding, but she has good search skills.)

Becky

Post   » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:46 pm

I searched, too, before the electricity went out, and the most I found were references to multiple ivermectin treatments, too. I'd certainly keep up with the treatments.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:18 pm

I think he's finally starting to get better. He's down to scratching one spot but there are no raw bloody spots anymore. Here is what he looks like today. If you look close you can see bald, pink spots. Those were bloody a few days ago. I am so happy today.! O:)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:20 pm

So this is with the Revolution? You never did topical ivermectin, right?

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:20 pm

That was two days after Revolution and using Benadryl cream. I only did one topical Ivermectin. The vet said the injection would be more potent.
For comparison here is what it looked like before.