Fleece Comparisons

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:10 pm

I got a keyboard player for you (husband). And I could probably get my son to mix it.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:34 pm

You got some Whittibo, glad I mentioned them to ya, I thought they would be about the right size for your cage.

Berber or Shepra are these pet rugs? That is still to figure out, but I realy do think they are along the Shepra lines because of the 'woolish look' they have. Notice how the top fibers fold back down into the knitting? Those are normally Shepras.

I'm still working on hunting down the right manufactures that produce those rugs and Berber. It would be great to be able to make full blankets out of this stuff. Specially the Berber.

Just imagine how easy it is on hay with those 'Pet Rugs', now think even easier with the Berber! Serioulsly. I made one blanket for us to test try out, I wish, wish, WISH I had this in every cage. In the mean time what we have is what we'll have to deal with.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:42 pm

Oh and by the way, the length in cage with the Berber is two fold for us Lynx. The peice of Berber I have in not as a blanket but just as material as you have, the material itself bottom side does not stay wet either. Have you had the same luck?

The Pet Rugs I know do hold pee in at the bottom of fabric and careful on the shaking, it has not been so with the Berber. Shepra I have to be careful shaking and one brand of the two I have, I absolutely dislike in hay area. Nightmare!

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:48 pm

I got 3 of the blankies Lynx was taking about at Target today after reading this thread. $10 - not $5, but still a good deal.

So, which side to you put up? And does yours soak the pee up Lynx, now that it's been washed several times? If it does, how many washes did it take?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:50 pm

There is some liquid held in all of them and I can shake it on me if I am careless. But for the piece you sent, when it's wet the pee seems to not be as close to the surface somehow, put pulled into it. The new pink sherpa one I can blot pee from obvious pee areas. The pee does not gravitate down as quickly as I'd like. I think the piece you sent me is less dense so it's easier for the pee to get through.

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:37 pm

Yes the density of the fabrics have so much impact on them, I think if one is not to use each you would not really know what kind of impact it is. I shall keep searching though.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:42 pm

Oh, Mum, I missed your post. I think I will be happy with them but they aren't as good as Windespirit's piece yet. They've had three washes. It has been wonderful to have pieces to trade out.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:48 pm

I've got one of the 3 blankets in the wash. I'm going to hold off on the other ones, in case I find something better. But I'll wash it a few times before putting it in the girls cage. They are very heavy pee-ers, so if it beaded on top, things could get messy!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:53 pm

After one wash it will not bead up at all. It's just that the wetness still seems to stay near the surface. But I think it is still pretty good stuff.

whittibo

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:28 pm

I love my little kennel blankets!!

I went back to Walmart last night, bought 4 more, wasn't home 5 minutes before I washed them so I could use them right away.

I woke up this morning, and fitted each cage with one, I left them a little bit big incase of shrinkage, and then used my first one and make the loft covers with it.

I am just in heaven, life couldn't get any better then right now. I love the looks of the cage, I love the way the urine just goes right to the bottom (I did put a piece of cotton felt down today, but I really don't think I have to have that, it will just protect the spongy stuff from soaking up the urine I think, but this mornings original one was really wet on the bottom, DRY as can be on top!)

So now each cage has been covered in the pads. I only cut two of the new pads and will wash them a few times before I cut the next set. But when all is said and done, I think this is going to be BY FAR the best thing yet for my piggies, and I MIGHT just use it on the basement level as well!

I really love that I can just suck up any beans incase someone comes to see the house. And my favorite thing is the piggies aren't sitting on a pee soaked towel! :D

Winde, you're the BEST for telling me about this. THANKS!!!!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:03 pm

Hey, how big were they again? And how much? They sound really promising.

Let us know how much the pigs chew on them.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:09 pm

They sound a bit like the stuff I ordered in a roll - steri-lon? It's used for whelping boxes and incontinent pets. Fake sherpa with a nonslip backing? I use it under my fleece. I'll have to visit Walmart and check theirs out!

Lynx, I washed one of those blankies from Target 3 times last night and today put it in the girls' cage with the sherpa side up (I had to fold it lengthwise). The pee is absorbing, but not all the way down. Maybe it needs even more washing? At least it's not sitting in a puddle!