*URGENT* Passing blood...squeaking

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:13 pm

Since your vet mentioned doing it as the next step perhaps it's worth a try. If she thinks there is no infection and you're just treating inflammation then try the Shilintong for pain management.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:15 am

She also mentioned possibly using a motility drug. We'll see what she says today. I decided to go ahead and take him in, since he was squeaking a little again last night.

Thanks so much for the information and help.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:58 am

The vet did tested his urine and said there is trace blood, but no white blood cells. I'm to get another urine sample at home and send it off for lab work. She is puzzled as to why he is still squeaking when he has a bowel movement, but she heard it while we were there. Poops are small-ish, but Zach continues to eat them.

She put Zachary on a motility drug and Metacam for pain. I'm frankly hesitant to use the Metacam...need to look it up, but does it do anything for inflammation?

He has actually lost 1-2 ounces since his last visit, which I also noticed on my scale at home -- though his appetite remains good. I thought maybe it was just my scale.

The vet said to use the motility and Metacam for a week, and return in 2 weeks for a follow-up. This is getting a little discouraging.

I wanted to ask -- she mentioned cutting back on pellets (he gets 2 tablespoons of Cavy Cuisine daily) and upping fiber intake. Her recommendation was to use canned pumpkin. I've never heard of doing this with a guinea pig. Should I do this? I have Critical Care on hand, which I would think is better. Just curious if anyone has tried pumpkin-?

Any additional thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:10 am

This is Zachary:

rachelm

Post   » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:11 am

I'm afraid I don't have any constructive advice for you, but just wanted to wish Zachary good luck with this. He's a cutie!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:07 am

I think Cavy Cuisine would be preferable. Pumpkin is okay to add if he'll eat it.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:02 pm

The Metacam is for the inflammation. It didn't do anything for Angel when I tried it.

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:31 am

If he's making poops and not gaining weight, his motility is probably fine. Why does the vet think there's a motility problem?

The metacam night help as pain relief.

I don't think it's a great idea to culture a sample of pee you got at home. Too much of a chance of contamination. Better for the vet to get a sample directly from the bladder or by expressing the bladder while someone holds a container to catch the pee before it hits the table. This is what we did today to get a pee sample.

I don't know the ins and outs of red vs white blood cells. I would assume any blood cell indicates an infection but I could be wrong - any vet techs or docs around?

It could be he just needs a different AB. Cipro is pretty good for UTIs.

Did he get fluids? Small poops and weight loss often mean dehydration.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:48 am

If he's making poops and not gaining weight, his motility is probably fine. Why does the vet think there's a motility problem?

Pinta, the vet saw a lot of "gas" on the xray she did three weeks ago. She was concerned about it at the time, but said to keep an eye on output. Since Zachary's feces are now about half their normal size, she thought he might need help with motility. What do you think?
The metacam night help as pain relief.

I was a little reluctant to do this, since I was afraid it would mask the discomfort and cause me to think he is improving -- when that might not be the case. Do you think I should go ahead and start administering?
I don't think it's a great idea to culture a sample of pee you got at home. Too much of a chance of contamination. Better for the vet to get a sample directly from the bladder or by expressing the bladder while someone holds a container to catch the pee before it hits the table. This is what we did today to get a pee sample.

Ordinarily I would agree, but she couldn't get him to urinate without defecating at the same time, and she seemed very reluctant to do the direct-from-bladder procedure. What I generally do, is get a sterile surface such as a new, plastic tablecloth. I put grids around it to make a "playpen," then feed some wet veggies. Wait a few minutes and keep a close eye on it. As soon as I see the pig urinate (and before he walks through it), I use a syringe to draw it up into a sterile bottle. Does that sound okay? Or not?
It could be he just needs a different AB. Cipro is pretty good for UTIs.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Maybe the bacteria is resistant to Bactrim? Is Cipro pretty well tolerated? I didn't see it listed on the antibiotics page.
Did he get fluids? Small poops and weight loss often mean dehydration.

No, she said no sign of dehydration. He seems to be drinking the same amount, but urine output seems to have increased. I'm not seeing any grit/sludge.

I'm really stumped here -- and frustrated.
Last edited by Sef on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

GP Lover
My home, ruled by pigs!

Post   » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:51 am

What is different about the urine she wants to test again that she told you to get on your own? Also, is it to do a culture?

I found that there are some vets that won't do the cystocentisis on a guinea pig. Did she tell you why she's reluctant?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:59 am

What is different about the urine she wants to test again that she told you to get on your own? Also, is it to do a culture?
She wasn't able to get a large enough sample to run anything on it, other than to determine that it still had trace blood, pH was slightly elevated but "normal," and...I'm having a brain lapse as to what the third thing was. I'm assuming she just used a test strip.

As far as the cystocentisis (thank you for reminding me of the word; old age is heck), she said she prefers a full bladder when she does that, adding that "it can be a little tricky."

pinta

Post   » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:01 pm

You can send your sample off to culture but it will have a bunch of stuff in it that could be discounted as contamination.

Small poops show he is dehydrated. My vet says sometimes the skin pull test isn't that defining for diagnosing dehydration. Small poops scream out dehydration.

If he's pooping he may not need Reglan. If his stomach is bloated then it could help. There could be gas in his stomach from a type of veggie he ate or from gasping for air while eating(heart issues)