Possible eye injury

My Baby Mu

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Ok, I am that friend of Jenn.

I went to the vet and she said he had a scratch on his cornea. She gave me medicine-Gentamycin Opth.Soln and said to put a drop in his eye twice a day for seven days.

His temperature was 99.3 degrees Farenheight. Last time I went which was September 21, 2005 his temperature was 100.7 degrees Farenheight. It has gone down a degree. Is this something to worry about?

JennG
In Memory of Mama

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:24 pm

Don't forget that this is a different vet than who saw him in November.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:06 pm

If he's acting normal I think the temp is probably innacurate so I wouldn't worry about it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:16 am

Eyes are very resilient organs and given proper care will heal fine. Just keep up with that ointment.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:07 am

That would have been my guess. Typically they do a stain of the eye, look at it closely, and prescribe some sort of ointment/drops for it. Jules had a scratched cornea that healed up fine.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:00 pm

I have a book that says that the normal temperature for piggies is anywhere between 99 and 103, so don't worry about that.

For some reason, human temperatures don't vary much, but dogs and cats do all the time, and I guess piggies too.

My Baby Mu

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:01 am

His eye is looking a little bit better today. He hates getting the drops in his eyes, but likes the treats he gets.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:19 am

Thanks for the update. Good to hear his eye is doing better.

My Baby Mu

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:50 pm

His eye looks a bit better. It isn't as receded as it used to be. Does anyone have any tips for putting the drops in? I can do it, but it is very hard because he will shut his eye and I don't want to pull on it too much.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:53 pm

Try to get it in the top of his eye so it falls in.

You can also hold him in a similar hold to the handfeeding one or get someone to hold his head while someone else drops it in.

My Baby Mu

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:20 pm

Update-Mo's eye isn't receded. It is clouded. He is still squinting. The top part of his eye (where the white part is going into the top of the eye. Where the ulcer is their seems to be something covering it-somewhat like a contact in a humans eye, except the edges are squigly.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:07 am

Still clouded? I would have thought it'd be clearing up by now but it was untreated for so long. You might want to ask about switching to BNP ointment if you don't start to see faster improvemtn. I've had better luck with that anyway dealing with hay pokes and such. The genticin never worked as well for me.