What to check at the vet

sus4rabbitsnpigs

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:41 pm

You think it may have been due to being housed outdoors, or in like a glass aquarium? I remember reading on another forum about a blind pig, eyes messed up due to being housed in an aquarium.

If not, ignore me. Poor thing.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:09 pm

Does she bump into things? Do you think that is why she just flies out of your arms, she can't see where she is flying to?

If she doesn't require medication, maybe she could still be placed? Hopefully.

Fweeprluvr

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:51 pm

Ok........They say it is more stressfull to overclip a nail and slowly get blood than to gas them down to get blood, or hold them with their legs pulled down and their head pulled up and stick a needle into their tiny jugular veins while they are screaming and struggling?????? uh...ok

klynne

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:41 pm

Mum, sorry to hear of Muffin's diagnosis. I bet someone special will come along to adopt her, though.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:48 pm

I don't think she bumps into things because I never see her out of her pigloo.

I think the day she tried to fly out of my arms, my daughter came up and reached out an arm to pet her - it must have caught her by surprise, because she didn't see her coming.

I'm hoping that she'll get used to her C&C and start being a little more adventurous. And I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the blood tests show nothing more.

Her missing tooth has already grown half way in, but it looks to me as if her front incisors stick out a bit. However, she must be eating because she's not losing any weight.

I'll put her and Eloise up for adoption together and see what happens. It would take a special person to care enough to make sure things like water bottles are always in the same place, etc., but perhaps someone will come along. They're both young and very pretty, and when I was holding Eloise at the vet's office she was all snuggled up under my chin doing happy squeaks. When they do that, I find it very hard to part with them :-p

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:37 pm

Muffin's blood work is back, and the vet is perplexed. I know somewhere on this site there's a list of normal values for guinea pigs - could someone point me to it?

Also, her karo-something cells were high, which the vet said his book said could be due to pregnancy.

I really need to check her results against some known norms.

My vet is not around for the rest of this week, so the vet I'm talking to is the other one (I don't think he's as cavy-savvy).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:55 pm

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:02 pm

Thanks, I just found it!

Comparing these with her blood test, the following are abnormal:

Total protein - 6.9
Globulin - 3.3
Cholesterol - 57

Also, Kurloff bodies seen and clot in tube

Would somebody please comment on this?

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:47 pm

I'm hoping these numbers will mean something to somebody?

pinta

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:12 pm

not me.

lisam

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:19 pm

You may want to email Josephine and Mel to see if they have any input.

melcvt00

Post   » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:46 pm

I can't remember what normal globulin is for guinea pigs.

Kurloff bodies......it's been a long time since I've seen that term. I want to say that they are something normally seen on guinea pig blood smears. The clot in the tube means the person took too long drawing the blood, and the blood was clotting by the time it got put in the tube that doesn't allow the blood to clot.

Those numbers don't seem scary to me.