Steve's teeth?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:15 pm

I empathize, RS. We are eventually going to have to learn to do subcues at home and neither my husband nor I are in any hurry to do so, because of what you just described.

Was the fluid warmed before administration?

pinta

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:32 pm

Sounds like room temperature fluids. There should just be a bit of a jump when the needle connects and then nothing. Fluids should be body temperature.

I've given subcues to many different pigs and not had a problem.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:42 pm

Yes, body temperature (say, 100 degrees F) and maybe distract him with something to eat.

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:24 am

So you think it sounds like it wasn't warm enough? She said I could microwave the bag for a min if it wasn't warm, but that I didn't (obviously) want it too hot.

At home, I will definately give him something to eat if it helps.

Talishan, it's not hard to do, just wasn't what I expected. When I saw Judi give a pig fluids, I didn't see the hopping, but I wasn't sure if that meant she did it better or that the pig was too sick to care.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:41 am

We never could get the fluids at the right temperature for Spot. He always jumped and wriggled, and it took two people to do the subcues. Even switching to a very small needle didn't seem to help.

In retrospect, I'm quite sure that the fluids weren't at the right temperature. I used the hot water method of warming the bag, but a microwave would probably be better, providing you're very careful to check that the temperature is consistent throughout the bag.

snowflakey
E's Moriarity

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:03 pm

I think it was recommended that I run the big SQ syringe under the tap to warm it up, rather than heat the whole big old bag of solution.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:06 pm

I tried that, Snowflakey - but it didn't seem to work very well for me :-(

pinta

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:24 pm

I put the fluid in the subcue syringe and let hot water from the tap run over it turning it occasionally. Takes 1 to 2 minutes depending on size of syringe. I shake the syringe to get the temp even and test it on my inner wrist. There is no way this method cannot work.

Do not microwave the whole bag. Vets would suggest this only because they often use an entire bag on a cat or dog.

For sure it sounds like the bag was room temperature - they jerk from the shock of cool fluid hitting their warm insides. To them it's like a polar bear swim.

melcvt00

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:13 pm

Just curious, what kind of fluid is it?

pinta

Post   » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:19 pm

lactated ringers

RavenShade
Thanks for the Memories

Post   » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:16 pm

That makes sense. Thanks.

melcvt00

Post   » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:02 am

I was just checking....because normosol seems to sting in some animals.