Lumps/tumours on rump

Wheekers3

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:51 pm

I just saw in the picture that the mass seems to have a break in it, and oozing blood or blood serum. I though it might be an invitation for infection. ( you sound like my Vet, Lynx, heh. )

I would think a culture could be done. That is not a species specific thing. Is that what you meant, Lynx?

Debbie? Do you have access to Slivadene cream? That would be good to use. The only concern with antibacterial creams is that they are not good to ingest. The antibiotic properties also may kill necessary bacteria in the intestines, and cause a whole 'nother problem. The Silvadene cream does not.

Or a weak Betadine solution would be of help. Do not use peroxide.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:26 pm

This looks like a serious problem that should be addressed. I hope you can find a vet who will remove it safely.

As for the antibiotics, if she has vets who are not very knowledgeable, there may be complications from antibiotic use if it is not required. They also might prescribe unsafe antibiotics or unsafe doses.

Yes, I'd hope she could get a culture done too.

Debbie Jones

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:37 am

Many, many thanks for all your suggestions. My big worry about asking the local vet for a biopsy is that it will mean inserting a needle, puncturing the surface - and I worry that this act may admit nasty bacteria which have not yet got in - maybe even introduce something from the external surface of the tumour into the possibly clean blood beneath. And I don't know whether the laboratory that analysed the biopsy would necessarily be capable of identifying what it was, unless it was something other animals also get. I had a guinea pig die after what to me seemed to be symptoms of bloat, and I wanted an autopsy done, not only for my own benefit but also for the vet who had attempted to treat her. I rang the 2 regional laboratories within reach (the vets said they couldn't do it) and each said they had NEVER done an autopsy on a guinea pig, therefore would be unable to make a diagnosis unless there were identifiable bacteria or parasites present. I didn't pursue it.

I do have "Vetadine Solution", which is an aqueous solution of iodine for tissues of cats, dogs and so on. It's what I used (diluted in warm water) to flush out the 2 abscesses I've treated on other piggies. I have contemplated using this - but again, I worry about doing more harm than good, ie, I break down the hard surface and let in germs. I agree, the bigger (photographed) lump does have bloody spots - but I think these are where hard bits have dropped off, rather than anything oozing through.

I do "know" (through the Net) Hermann Wenzel in Germany, and have heard that the Netherlands have good guinea pig vets, but unfortunately I am in the Northwest of France, so Britain is closer for me, even though far away.

Would the Silvadene cream be at the pharmacy or at the vet? I like the thought of a cream as it would not be invasive, if you see what I mean, and it would form a barrier between any open parts of the lump and the air.

Pirouette weighed 739g when she first came to me, aged 2 years, in May 2004. Her highest recorded weight since then was December 2005, when she weighed 950g, and at present she weighs 885g. She is eating, drinking, weeing and pooping well, running around during floor time - honestly showing no sign of discomfort or pain. She doesn't even make any effort to scratch the lumps. I think this is why I have found it difficult to take any action. If she were showing signs of discomfort/pain, it would be much easier to intervene, in an effort to relieve that. But whilst she seems oblivious of the lumps, I am so reluctant to do anything which will make them hurt her.

With the abscesses, I didn't mind inflicting pain by squeezing and irrigating, because they were causing discomfort in the first place, I knew they could prove fatal if they were left and I knew, particularly after the first one was eradicated, that I could make the piggie well again by inflicting the pain. In Pirouette's case, I am not sure that intervention is going to make her well again. I suppose I fear that, once I start to interfere, she is going to start feeling pain she hasn't yet got, and if the lumps are going to prove inoperable or are recurring, she has only more pain to look forward to, ending in euthanasia. Should this latter scenario prove to be the outcome, I would obviously rather she enjoyed life to the full for as long as she can.

I will try to get a better photo, maybe one of each lump, today, and send them to Cavies Castle as well as posting them on here.

Would I be right in thinking it would be cruel to even consider having the lumps removed with just a local anaesthetic rather than a general one? They are pretty big, aren't they?

Sorry if I'm seeming to stubbornly refuse all helpful suggestions. I am taking them all on board. I agree it looks like a serious problem that needs competent veterinary attention. It's the difficulty in accessing such attention that is the real problem - and were that not a problem, I'd have had Pirouette to the vet long ago.

Debbie

-JC-
I gave AGAIN, dammit!

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:12 am

Debbie, I'm sure that any good vet in France would be able to remove the lump - they must see similar on dogs and cats. My father lived in Paris for several years and always had good treatment for his dog. I would really try to get her somewhere local, at least for an opinion. A sterile needle insertion shouldn't introduce bacteria, and it's not going to go away on its own! (As you know). I would think bringing her to Britain would be a traumatic journey.

Debbie Jones

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:20 pm

Our local vet "cured" our dog when she had a viral heart infection, and has spayed a cat and a dog for us. She even got our elderly cat with compromised immune system through cat flu, but only after I bought a nebuliser through Ebay and suggested its use - the practice had never nebulised an animal before. Yes, our cats and dogs get good veterinary care here.

I did allow her to castrate two male rabbits, which she had done before. She used an injected anaesthetic, and they survived. They were healthy young rabbits.

She has never operated on a guinea pig. She has told me she does not use a gas anaesthetic. She has told me she has had little training in guinea pig care. I don't doubt that she could remove the lumps. I doubt her skill in administering injected anaesthetic when she has never used it with such a small animal before. And I worry about Pirouette's pain afterwards. My rabbits did not get pain relief after they were castrated, even though I had asked for it.

Someone told me they think there may be a vet experienced with guinea pigs in Angers, about 3 hours' drive away. I am looking into it.

Will keep you posted.

Debbie

My worry with the biopsy is not the needle itself, but the hole it will create.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:23 pm

Debbie sent me a bunch more pics, much clearer.

This does indeed look like the same thing that was going on with Latino22's pig. I still think you need to get these lumps surgically removed in their entirety.

Wheekers3

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:52 pm

They are quite large, I'd want them gone. When is the Cavy Trust expected? I don't think there is a huge rush, ( i.e. emergency ) as they have been there a year, but to prolong the life of the pig, and it's happiness they do need to be removed. They could become infected easily. Pirouette is sweet looking pig.

Have you recieved a response from the owners? Perhaps the Vet that does not have adequate anesthesia could steer you in the direction of a Vet that does.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:01 pm

I think they gradually got larger and worse and worse over time. I think the sooner they are removed, the easier the recovery will be.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:06 pm

This looks a little like the one Spot had when he came in here. Except he'd bitten into it.

It turned out it was a benign tumor. My vet described it as a cyst which had exploded! The biggest danger I think, is self-mutiliation and infection. However, on removal he said it had also attached itself to some surrounding muscle, which he removed to be safe, so I think leaving them for too long could start to cause problems.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:27 pm

Snowflake had a small tumor that she'd bitten at and I could tell would never heal. It was tough and fiberous. I had it surgically removed when it was small. This may be what it would have turned into.

I'm hoping Josephine will notice this thread as the pics are pretty clear. Maybe she's seen the same sort of thing.

Debbie Jones

Post   » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:14 am

I did a websearch on Silvadene (generic name Silver Sulfadiazine); seems it is primarily for use on burns, and can cause skin irritation on first use. I have to go near the pharmacy this evening, and was going to try to get some, but what is the general consensus? I have bought stuff for piggies before then been persuaded against using it, and money here is short at the best of times. Is it worth a try?

I've sent the photos to Cavies Castle (the rodentologists) but not yet heard back - they have over 100 piggies to care for, many of whom are being syringe fed, so I know they don't have a lot of time. I've suggested they email me a time that it would be convenient for me to phone them.

Did searches on all 11 vets in Angers - not one has a website, which means I must ring round them all. My French is not perfect, least of all when it comes to technical veterinary terms. My worry is that receptionists will say, "Oh yes, we treat guinea pigs" but will not know any answers to the "vet selection" questions about fasting and survival rates, and in truth they have seen a few sick guinea pigs but all have subsequently died from lack of knowledge. I have been here before. What I really wanted was to be able to email the photos in advance and discuss over the phone, then Pirouette would only have to endure the 6 hour return journey once instead of twice.

When I checked, I realised that the first lump was only noticed in September last year, not this time last year as I first posted. So they have grown fairly quickly. Of course I wish I had acted earlier, but it is knowing what action to take that is the big problem. As they were not bothering her, I think I did hope they might clear up on their own in time, or just stay the same.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:51 am

"...what is the general consensus..."

My advice is not to bother with a cream, but get a good vet!
Find out how to say Isoflurane and Sevoflurane in French. Both are safe inhalant type anesthetics. Find someone who does a lot of surgeries.

I am sorry you're having trouble finding a good vet.