Shelter pigs w/ringworm

Charybdis

Post   » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:37 pm

A shelter volunteer called me today. There are 5 young pigs in an LA shelter who are about to be euthanized because they have ringworm (shelter vet tech confirmed).

The pigs came in all together, 2 adult boars, 3 juvenile sows.

The volunteer wants to foster the 3 females and is willing to treat them (I am giving her supplies). She is trying to convince the shelter to treat the boars if I provide the medication.

So, I have 3 questions:

1) Will Malaseb bath and miconazole cream treat this sufficiently?

2) Can the females, if pregnant, be treated with these products?

3) I have been told that ringworm can be airborne. If the shelter decides to treat the boars, will they infect the rabbits in the kennels with them even if there is no contact?

Many thanks for any replies.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:03 am

From what I know:

1) Yes, but I have heard from several people that Program is more effective.

2) I believe you can treat pregnant females (But PLEASE don't take that for granted since I don't know from personal experience)

3) You should quarantine the ringworm animals in a separate room as far away as possible and always wash your hands thoroughly between handling animals. Wear an apron that you can shed at the door if you're holding them, too.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:21 am

Ok, I can get Program--isn't the dosage info. on here somewhere?

Does anyone know if it is safe for guinea pregs?

The shelter will not quarantine. If it can't be treated in the kennels, they won't treat it.

Paravati
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:23 am

Chary, I am going to forward this link to Foster with an information request on Program and treating for ringworm. She's dealt with it before on several occasions. I know she'll have some information for you.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:45 am

Many thanks, Para. Time is running out for these pigs.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:47 am

Still researching whether or not pregnant sows can be treated with topical fungicides, but I was wondering...

What does everyone think of P. Gurney's essential oil treatment for fungal infections? The shelter volunteer who is taking the pigs mentioned this to me and asked if it would be an option.

Any thoughts? Here is the link:

http://www.oginet.com/pgurney/skinp.htm

Foster

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:23 am

Hi Charybdis,

I treat Ringworm with Program (Lufenuron) and have had great success. Ringworm is still the most frustrating thing I treat and can take a month or two to clear up.

I get the cat dose for cats 11-20 pounds which is 270mg. I use one whole dose to treat an avarage adult pig. It's not an exact amount but it works and I haven't had any problems, even in pregnant sows. It needs to be mixed with something fatty to be absorbed properly. I use STAT which is a liquid diet probably like Critical Care that Oxbow makes. I get the STAT from the Vet. After mixing the program with the STAT I draw it up in a large syringe and feed it orally. They don't seem to mind the taste at all.

To jump start the healing I usually bathe the pigs with ChlorhexaDerm shampoo and dip them in LymDyp (stinky sulfer dip). Both have anti-fungal properties and the shampoo is soothing. LymDyp will even cure lice too.

If after four weeks there is any evidence of Ringworm remaining I treat again but usually it is gone.

I hope this helps, let me know if I can help in any way!

Janet

melcvt00

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:51 am

I'm not sure if I would use the Program on pregnant pigs. I'll try to remember to look at the Program we have at the clinic to see what it says about pregnant dogs and cats.

Bathing is only topical, so it wouldn't harm the pregnant pigs. The stress would be the only issue.

As for the oil, I don't think I'd go for it. After reading the article, the first oil mentioned was used to kill mites/lice. The second sounded more like a yeast infection on the skin, not a ringworm infection. If they were my pigs, I'd be more likely to use the Programs and the Malaseb. Like Foster said, though, it can take a good 2 months to get rid of it. And as far as I know, ringworm is not airborne...contact is required for transmission. So, anyone handling those pigs need to wear gloves/long sleeves. If they are bedded on towels, the towels can be washed, but in HOT water only. Definitely strict quarantine rules should apply.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:08 pm

Program is fine on pregnant animals, but I wouldn't use the high dose Foster suggests. My formulary states lufenuron (Program) can be safe for pregnant or lactating females. The lufenuron is found in the milk, but no adverse effects were seen at 10 times the recommended dose. It is safe for all mammals that we know of, due to the mechanism used is not found in mammals, but arthropods (like fleas) and other certain microbes (like ringworm).

The dosage for cavies is usually based on the feline dose of 13.6 mg/lb every 30 days, but that is a minimum. The average kg pig needs about 30 mg minimum. I have been told to give a kg pig a 45 mg tablet or 1/2 a 90 mg tablet. It does need to be given with some sort of higher-fat food, such as a liquid replacement diet, or if worse comes to worse (only in this situation, since it is not formulated for herbivores), Nutri-cal.

I would also recommend doing at least one bath with the Malaseb (depending on how pregnant the sows and how much stress it will be), since it reduces human exposure on the surface. I don't think the oils do any good other than moisturize the skin and I think it can do more damage if the oils are injested (esp. with normal cavy grooming).

Yes, of course, I second the recommendations for quarantine and strict washing/decontamination when treating the pigs. It is zoonotic and quite contagious, although it is through direct contact.

Foster

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:35 pm

Wow Josephine, that is a smaller dose than I use! All I can tell you is what has worked for me. I once tried splitting my 270mg dose between two smaller pigs (they weighed 600g each) and didn't get the usual result and had to re-treat them. I was sure it was because the dose wasn't high enough because when I upped the dosage the second time it worked very well.

Have you had one dose cures on that dosage or do you have to treat over several months?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:56 pm

Foster, if you have some new literature, I would love to see it. Quite frankly, I have only had one or two animals with not very severe cases on that dosage. Two months (two dosages) seemed to be the course. Of course, your dosage is considered safe in the up to 10 times normal dosage category.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 3:37 pm

The vet does not have STAT, but I have some Critical Care. Will that do or is STAT preferable? Any other substitutes?

Also, how much of the liquid replacement diet should be mixed with the program?

And one more thing--how many doses and how often?