Shelter pigs w/ringworm

Foster

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:04 pm

I just pulled up the fat content of Critical Care and I don't think it is high enough. I have even used about two teaspoons of corn oil when I was out of STAT and it was fine, just didn't mix with the Program as well. I'm sure someone else on here will know of a suitable replacement though. I would ask the Vet what else would be fatty like STAT. It is 45% fat.

I give one dose. If after four weeks all signs of Ringworm are NOT gone I repeat the one dose again. I haven't ever had to give more than two monthly doses.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:57 pm

No vets around here seem to have a clue. Mine is out of town. I can't find STAT or anything like it online, either.

I have flax oil, which has 11g of fat per tbsp. How about Missing Link?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:06 pm

Yeah, use the Flax oil. Great idea. It's vegetarian, too.

Missing link is good, but I think it's lower in fat.

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:58 pm

Any idea how much flax oil they should get?

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:11 pm

Just 1 cc should be more than enough

Charybdis

Post   » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:02 pm

Great, thanks. The volunteer should be picking up the pigs at the shelter on Friday.

charandmin

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:55 pm

Maybe it's the scientist in me, but I'm just wondering how a oral treatment for fleas can be effective against a fungus?

I had a roomate the caught ringworm in college and she used a skin cream to get rid of it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:45 pm

Supposedly it is a chitin inhibitor (might have misspelled that). Do a search under Program and Josephine and you should turn up some of her explanations of how it works. And it certainly does seem to.

melcvt00

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:48 pm

It's not labeled for a fungus, but has been shown to be effective.

And did you know that there are oral treatments for ringworm? Griseofulvin is the usual one.

Evangeline

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:02 pm

I hope you're not suggesting it, Mel. It's way too harsh for pigs and should only be used as a very last resort.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:38 pm

I guess some people have had problems with this drug. One person even claimed it caused the death of a young cavy. I don't remember anything else specific but around here it seems to be recommended only as a last resort, as E said. And there are other things that are safer and effective too.

Josephine
Little Jo Wheek

Post   » Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:48 pm

I guess malessezia (a yeast commonly found in dog ears that causes infections) also has chitin in its cell wall. So, lufenuron research is going in that direction. It may be effective against that also at normal doses, but vets are only using it for ringworm and fleas now.