Problem With Mudge's Eye - Help!

crazycheryl

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:41 pm

Tessa noticed this on Mudge's eye when we got home from dinner tonight. It wasn't there earlier today, it's only happened within the past 2 hours. Does this warrant a visit to the emergency vet? Anything I can do for her? She doesn't seem to be in pain, is eating and otherwise seems okay.

I know the pic isn't that great but it is the best we could get. A more accurate description would be, well, imagine those big ulcers you get in your mouth, only this one is a lot bigger and on her eye. It also looks like there are little pools of blood in certain areas.

Thanks a bunch!
Tessa and crazycheryl

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:43 pm

Yes, if you have a good emergency vet I'd get her over there. She probably will need gentamycin or something else, but it may get worse if you don't start treating it.

crazycheryl

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:46 pm

Thanks for your quick response Mum. I know nothing about the only vet emergency place around here. However, I don't think an un-cavy savvy vet could mess up too much with an eye? Should we go tonight or do you think it can wait until tomorrow?

crazycheryl

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:02 pm

Any suggestions as to emergency vet visits tonight?

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:17 pm

Your call. I would at least try to flush it with some sterile saline.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:42 pm

The only emergency vet I know of in north Atlanta that knows anything about guinea pigs is:

http://www.cobbevc.com/

North of White Water, on US 41. We have taken several of ours there, and they have done a great job each time.

Prices will be about what you'd expect from a good cavy-knowledgeable vet, plus $85 (unless they've gone up) for ER.

They may not know exactly what to look for (like a tiny piece of hay, for example) or exactly where to look, but they should be able to clinically and diagnostically treat her eye very competently.

They will want to know who your regular vet is, to transmit the visit information record for followup care, so have that info handy if/when you go.

Directions:

http://www.cobbevc.com/directions.html

Just north of the "North Loop" (120 Loop North) on US 41 (Cobb Parkway). Going north, just before Allgood Road, on the right-hand side of the road.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:54 pm

The treatment of an eye injury or problem is likely similar in various species. There are even veterinary opthamologists. Let us know what the vet says.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:03 pm

Email me if you need more specific directions.

crazycheryl

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:22 pm

Thanks Talishan and everyone else. We are going to take her to the emergency vet tomorrow. We will let you know what they say.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:25 pm

My regular vet is open on Sunday:

http://www.lovinghands.com/

Just north of Windward Parkway on Highway 9. They are open 11-5 on Sundays. That would save you the ER charge.

If you go, see Dr. Byars or Dr. Lee, if either is there. Dr. Roesner next.

pinta

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:27 am

The pic is covering the post.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:28 am

She made a clickable picture. I wish people wouldn't do that.

Her post:

I know the pic isn't that great but it is the best we could get. A more accurate description would be, well, imagine those big ulcers you get in your mouth, only this one is a lot bigger and on her eye. It also looks like there are little pools of blood in certain areas.