wheat grass?

whittibo

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:39 am

I like the idea of a chia pet too!!

cutemomomi, if your piggy has an issue with wetter poops with wheatgrass, don't feed as much at one time. I started out with about the size of my thumb, per piggy, once a day. And increased it from there. Now we just cut off a huge clump and throw it in their cage twice a day. I have only let them "free feed" off of our wheatgrass flat a couple times for photo ops. :D

totoro33
Supporter in '06

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:00 pm

My pigs like watercress and land cress. It is common in human salads. I LOVE the land cress,it has a wonderful nutty flavor. Watercress requires a lot of moisture, so you need to water it frequently. You couldn't keep it in the pig cage where the wetness might mold and it wouldn't get enough light. You could put it near a window and give it to the pigs occasionally, though. Wheatgrass probably needs a fair amount of light.

Keep in mind when growing greens that they will "bolt", or go to seed at temperatures higher than 80 degrees. Parsley and cilantro will also bolt in hot weather. So if you live in a warm climate, now is not the time to plant. There are numerous perennial herbs that will last in patio planters if you plant them now. My pigs like oregano , thyme, and lemon balm.

aqh88

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:17 am

I just buy a bag of bluegrass sold for lawns. It's lasted 2years growing the grass in two 30gallon plastic storage containers. Needs plenty of light though and being in a basement aparment I had to hang a plant light strip over it.

Mine didn't find watercress interesting either. I thought I'd grow some in my smaller aquarium for them and it worked but they wouldn't eat it. Watercress will grow with standing water around it's stem and the top leaves above the surface. You can just toss in the stems you buy at the grocery store and they'll sprout. No need for seeds and doesn't make too bad of aquarium plant.

zookeeper
Even Booze Hags Give

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:18 am

slfalzone

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:54 am

Is this wheatgrass suitable to grow and feed to Teddy?

http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/seed.htm

Also I was worried about how to fertilize without giving Teddy chemicals in his system.

cavyslave8
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:34 pm

Is "decorative wheatgrass" the same as what cutemomomi has pictured? I would like to buy some to grow myself, but I'm not sure what it's called in the store. It looks so different in zookeeper's pic.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:36 pm

I grow wheatgrass from a kit and fertilize with liquid kelp.

The pigs love it! Just remember, not all pigs digestive systems can handle much - they have to get used to it, and some pigs can never eat as much as others without getting soft poo!

Cavies-and-Kids

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:39 pm

Also I was worried about how to fertilize without giving Teddy chemicals in his system.

Couldn't you just mix a little bit of pig poop in with the soil you plant it in?

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:39 pm

Liquid kelp fertilizer Mum? Please don't say it's found in a health food place, that's in the city.

Mum
I GAVE, dammit!

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:48 pm

Nope, it got it online from the place I ordered the seeds, trays, and vermiculite!

http://www.sproutpeople.com/index.html

WindeSpirit
Sewing for a Cause

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:27 pm

Great link, Thanks!

slfalzone

Post   » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:34 pm

Okay, I was a good girl and didn't start a new thread, although maybe I should have. I have continued to buy Teddy's wheat grass from Whole foods, and really it's such a trek that I really must start growing.

Mum, I see that you grow in vermiculite with kelp. Does that work really well for you? How much do you manage to grow from the kit you ordered?

I found this site:

http://www.wheatgrassman.com/site/15385 ... 37-6774194

which appears a little cheaper although the shipping is still crippling.

I also found this site which discusses the growing of wheatgrass outside as opposed to indoor growing, arguing that indoor growing is conducive to mold and causes nausea, headaches and hives.

http://www.cityfarmer.org/wheatgrass.html

If you click the link below you can read about that and a rebuttal from an indoor grower. Also if you click on the Evergreenjuices link you can see how they grow their wheatgrass.

I want to grow the best grass for Teddy.