Problem With Mudge's Eye - Help!

crazycheryl

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:56 am

Sorry about that Lynxie. I pasted an img picture from Photobucket - didn't know it was "clickable" nor the consequences of posting as such. My bad :(

Is this better?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:26 am

Interesting. So they provide you with clickable links? I didn't know that. It would explain why these links that periodically show up (you aren't the only person who has posted a clickable picture).

Pinta has a browser that displays things poorly so it is for her we try to avoid them. Just about everyone else can view them okay.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:11 pm

I don't understand what a clickable link is. I, too, paste a url from photobucket.

pinta

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:48 pm

Are we looking at the pink thing in the upper corner of the eye? Looks like Pea Eye to me.

HollyT
Get on your bike.

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:52 pm

Pea eye can be at the top and happen that quickly?

pinta

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:56 pm

Yes it can be at the top and chances are it's been there for a while but just recently started to poke out.

Lisser

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:17 pm

Oops, I post clickable links also because I'm not too good at resizing pics.

crazycheryl

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:38 pm

Hey everybody! This is Tessa with an update on baby Mudge. Well, the doctor said it was probably cause by trauma to her eye, not pea eye. She gave us some eye drops and said mudge should be better in a week. If not, she'll just do some minor surgery to remove it. Thank you so much for your help, everybody! Oh, and please forgive any spelling, gramatical, etc. errors.... Im kind of slow when it comes to that..

-Tessa

crazycheryl

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:06 pm

To clarify Tessa's previous post. The problem probably started with trauma to the eye. The conjunctiva is inflamed all around the eye but as you can see there is a "tag" (my word) of conjunctiva hanging from the eye. It looks much dryer today than last night.

However, Mudge has been given Gentocin Opthalmic Drops. We have to administer one drop to the eye every six hours (day and night) for 2 weeks. The dr. said we could decrease to every 8 hours after the first week if the "tag" is shrinking. If the "tag" doesn't go away, surgery would be required to remove it.

Thanks Talishan for the vet recommendation. We saw Dr. Lee and were very impressed with her (even though I felt like we had to drive to east bumble-**** to get there!). Is Dr. Lee pretty good at surgery or have you used her for surgery?

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:23 pm

"...we had to drive to east bumble-**** to get there..."

Amen and agreed 100%!!!

Dr. Lee started there last June. She is 'fresh' out of vet school, but I think in her late 20's and has a good deal of exotics-care experience from before and during vet school. She specialized in exotics at UGA.

We've had her do some minor surgeries and she has done very, very well. She's a perfectionist. I haven't asked her to do a spay or neuter, though. I think if the tag needs to be removed, she would do very well.

Good luck with the Gentocin drops. It will take Mudge about two applications to learn how to thwart your efforts. We had best success with a two-person system. Wrap pig in towel and hold gently but firmly. The same person holds the eye gently open, while person #2 stands over Mudge and drops the drops in.

crazycheryl

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:26 am

I've somewhat developed a system for administering the drops. We just assume that the first one's going to miss but we generally get the second one in. The hardest one was getting up at 1:30 a.m. and giving that dose. It's just not possible to stay partly asleep when giving a guinea pig eye drops!

However, the eye looks a little bit better this morning. The conjunctiva doesn't seem as dried out and I *think* the tag has shrunk a little. Yay! Hopefully no surgery for my little bossy girl.

rachelm

Post   » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:35 am

Ooh, I'm pleased the tag has shrunk some!