Little Bit - Lump

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:34 am

I found a lump on Little Bit this morning.

Little Bit is about 1 1/2 years old. Her weight has been steady, and she acts like herself.

The lump is at the top of her right, rear leg. It is about the size of a dime. I could not see anything unusual when I parted her hair to take a look at it. The skin looks normal and is not raised. The lump moves around a little, but feels somewhat hard. She does not seem to be in pain when I touch the lump.

I do not think the lump has been there very long, as I think I would have noticed it when I pick her up from her cage. This morning was the first time I felt it when I picked her up.

I am going to schedule a vet appointment for her for next week. I hope it is not anything serious.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:18 pm

The area is not raised? So the only thing you note is that there is something hard underneath? Could be a follicular cyst is forming -- in which case you will eventually see a lump. Do let us know what it is. Always helps future pet owners with similar problems.

Good luck.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:32 pm

The dime-sized area is not raised. It just feels hard underneath when you press on the area.

I'll report back after I take her to the vet.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:42 am

I just wanted to update this thread.

Little Bit has an epidermal inclusion cyst. The vet said that I should just watch the cyst for any growth. If the cyst started increasing in size, he would remove it. So far, it has remained the same size.

mooser

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:44 am

When Poly had a lump on his back last year, we did a needle biopsy. Didn't help much, though- the results came back that it was normal, but when we removed it anyway, there was a huge pocket of pus in it.

Hope LB's doesn't grow.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:52 pm

Text:
http://www.vetinfo.com/depicysts.html

Graphic pics of cyst on human eyelid and removal ("The content was made up of cheesy materials."):
http://www.mrcophth.com/oculoplasticgallery/sebaceouscyst/sebaceouscyst.html

" The cyst was removed by carefully freeing it from the surrounding tissue. Spillage of the content and incomplete excision can cause chronic inflammation due to spillage of the content. "

So this is a single follical that would be involved for your guinea pig? I'm thinking of the recent thread with the large open sore which supposedly had a whole bunch of pockets of keratious material.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:01 am

If I understood the vet correctly, I think it is just a single one.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:34 am

By the way, rereading the top link I posted:

Epidermal inclusion cyst are common cystic lesions that are not cancerous. They don't spread and can't really be prevented (probably have a genetic component). Vet from first link claims epidermal inclusion cysts do not usually contain hair and are not usually congenital lesions.

Vet from first link claims follicular cyst is supposedly "an older name for a cyst" which often does contain hair.

p.s. I was sent a picture of the integumentary system of a guinea pig (sketch). It included several hairs surrounded by a single sebaceous gland. As I noted above, it sounds like not all cysts contain hairs.

Stacy
Supporter in '11

Post   » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:44 am

Thanks for all the information, Lynx. It is very helpful.

Lynx
RESIST

Post   » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:19 pm

For what it's worth, should you find out if there are no hairs, one hair, or multiple hairs, that would be handy.

10 posts • Page 1 of 1