pinta

Post   » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:05 am

What is his treatment plan?

averyl

Post   » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:31 am

Pinta- I wrote it above.

pinta

Post   » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:45 am

I don't see any treatment above. Hyperthyroidism means everything is revved up which means the heart and other organs are working harder/faster than normal. The idea of treating with Tapazole is bring everything to a normal speed thereby reducing the chance of organ failure like a heart attack and an early death. At least this is how I understand it.

Diva

Post   » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:14 pm

My namesake Diva was the pig Averyl was talking about. Dr. Barksdale is currently looking for the best way to take a blood sample so that she can do a T4 on Oliver (and 2 other pigs she has identified as possible hyperthyroidic piggies.) If anyone could share information on how much blood was needed for the test and the site at which the blood was removed from their pig, it would be of great help in diagnosing Oliver and these other pigs so they can get the proper treatment.

pinta

Post   » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:17 pm

I think we do a different test in Canada. We need 0.5cc blood for the test. Last pig we did, Bliss, a skinny, had some taken from each leg. Gretchen was more generous - bled like a stuck pig from the forearm.

You may need less blood to do the test.

Allysse

Post   » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:46 pm

Moby's tests are taken from the jugular vein, in the neck. I don't know how much is taken.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:33 am

My vet takes blood from the jugular as well. I am also in Canada so she probably takes the same amount as pinta stated for the T4.

edited to add: My vet anaesthetises pigs when she takes the blood from the jugular.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:23 pm

Apparently I lied without knowing it. I spoke with my vet and she no longer takes blood from the jugular. She learned a new technique for taking blood while at a conference in Florida early this year.

It's very difficult to explain though, so she asked that if anyone's vets are interested they can email me and I will provide her email address so they can contact her directly. I believe it's taking blood from the vena cava (sp?) but I could be mistaken. She also confirmed that she takes 0.5 ccs at a time.