Reba: Satin w/arthritis, bone loss, & teeth issues

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:09 am

Mum uses a special lamp (UV?) over one of her cages to enhance calcium uptake and utilization.

?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:14 am

Exposure to the sun, vitamin D is an important part of calcium absorption. Other minerals are involved in calcium absorption too (phosphorus, of course, potasium, etc.).

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:13 am

That would be easy to do since they are used to lights on their cage anyways. The cages are kinda in the corner and the bottom cage especially can be on the dark side, so I have already had lights on them. If somebody can tell me what kind of light to buy I will switch it out. I don't have anyplace to safely put them out in the sun for any length of time. Not to mention the fact that they would be cooked a lot of the year here.

Just one of the small plant lights or something?

klynne

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:37 am

Mammabear--I would check out some of the better, higher end reptile lights--which would give you more full-spectrum like natural sunlight.

Pretty sure that is similar to what Mum has.

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:56 am

How much calcium supplement is she getting and in what form?

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:20 pm

She has been on the 75mg calcium lactate twice a day that I pulled from your info in the reference section. She has been on this since you pointed it out in the beginning of this thread.

The vet is now suggesting switching to Tums to see if the change in type makes a difference. She suggested 1/4 pill once a day but I saw where the reference thread talked about 1/4 pill twice a day, so I am wondering if it should be the higher dose instead?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:11 pm

Keep in mind calcium works together with other minerals. Ask if it would make sense to do a multimineral supplement.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:19 pm

ARE there any safe brands of multivitamins that I could use? I thought they were all bad. I am currently adding B, C, and calcium to her mash, which is made with KM's pellets, a little oatmeal, and some unsweetened applesauce. The vet wanted me using KM's pellets more often than CC and this recipe is providing the best results as far as how much of it she will eat. I can usually get about 40cc down her in one meal with this stuff. She eats a lot less if she isn't as happy with the taste.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:22 pm

You want a multi-mineral supplement. Not all vitamins. Skip the vitamin A and some of the other stuff.

I am just guessing at this. See what your vet thinks about how to best handle the calcium loss.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:40 pm

The only suggestion the vet had was switching from calcium lactate to Tums. Beyond that, we have talked about the fact that there are people on here who have studied it intensly and she requested I collect input from them regarding all of these issues and then bring the info to her to review. So I am hoping Pinta and the others can find the time to give me some input. I am printing up the major threads on here about it all but she wanted to see some specific responses about Reba, based on the x-rays and history I provide. Especiallysince the calcium lactate seems to not have worked.

I am trying to get some more detailed copies of the x-rays to replace the ones I posted earlier. I took pictures of them the way Para told me too but they seem darker than others I see on here. I sent the original pictures to her to play with and I may try the scanner too.

I am hoping salana will come back and explain what she is seeing in the x-rays about the ribs, so that I can try to visualize it myself.

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:25 pm

Hmmmm - if it was my pig, I'd up the calcium. I know pigs given smaller amounts haven't had a huge change but did start to get more density when they went to the larger dose. I would up it by another 75mgs daily. But this is just what I would do and doesn't mean it's right. The sunlight could make a difference. As we speak my pigs are outside and they usually spend warm days outside so the sunlight might have been really helping Shiraz, but I didn't realise it.

As far as I know, Calcium lactate is the most readily absorbed by pigs. But this could be an individual pig thing and maybe the Tums would work for Reba. We're all pretty much going by the seat of our pants.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:33 pm

Thanks pinta. That is the kind of info we are looking for too. What is "right" may not make much difference at the moment. We want to knw what others have done/are doing that seems to be helping even in the slightest.

I think I will try the larger dose of Tums for starters.

I am still looking for high density calories for her, to try to get some weight back on her. For the last 2 mornings she has been at 670 before breakfast, up from 650. But I also spent the entire weekend doing pretty much nothing but feeding her. Unfortunately, I can't do that every day.