Skinny Pig Data and T-4 count

pinta

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:57 am

yes

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:11 am

OK, I was just trying to remember; that is what I'm using with Ferdinand.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:09 pm

Paul, 4 years, TSW Skinny boar
T-4 22.4 nmol/L
Assumed heart condition - on Fortekor

Maggie, 5.5 years, Self Black American sow
T-4 with thyroid gland tumour - 81.1 nmol/L
T-4 4 months after removal of thyroid gland tumour - 6.5 nmol/L
Diagnosed arrythmia and heart murmer - on Fortekor and Lasix

pinta

Post   » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:29 pm

More on Heart (2.75 years, female lilac colouring)

I noticed Heart was hopping and not changing her hunched posture. She was walking normally the next day. Indications of arthritis. An xray revealed sclerosis(?) in the lower lumbar region and a couple of collapsed disks in the upper. The vet was really surprised at the xray. She'd expect that kind of thing in a senior pig and Heart is still relatively young.

Could also explain her incontinence. Sunday, when she was hopping she was very leaky. Monday, when she walked normally, she was dry. Could be it hurts on a bad back day to tense the muscles to keep the pee in.

She's going on 1 mg Rimadyl once a day.

Nurgle
...what, what, what?

Post   » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:41 pm

Putting this info here too (I believe it is on the heart thread as well):

Ferdinand is a ten-month-old skinny pig (born 16 June 2005), who began very slowly but steadily losing weight at about six months of age. He was up to 1.9 lbs (863 g) before he started losing weight. About this time, he got bit on the back and developed an abcess. His lowest weight was on 12/01/05, at 1.435 lbs (652 g). I was handfeeding and so on, and managed to mostly hold his weight steady for a week or two, when I finally got the vet talked into heart meds. He immediately bounced up to 1.65 lbs (750 g) and held there for a while, but has slowly been gaining since. Damn bugger is starting to look pudgy! As of yesterday, he has crossed 2.2 lbs (1000g). He was in at the vet again for a foot injury (he has managed to dislocate a toe, but no bones were broken), and we have had to adjust his heart meds due to the weight gain.

He was on 0.7 mg/day of benazepril, it has been upped to 1.0 mg/day of the benazepril.

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:01 pm

Little Lamb was born at the end of April 2005. She weighs 2 pounds 3 ounces (still gaining weekly) and hasn't shown any signs of heart problems or other issues. She does have four nipples, however.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:20 pm

Is Little Lamb a skinny?

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:11 pm

Yes, isn't that what the thread is for?

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:46 am

It's for T-4 counts as well (from any pig) to try and get a norm to figure out if Skinnies are prone to hyperthyroidism.

AliceMcmallis
Supporter in '08

Post   » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:44 pm

A new T4 count for Paul: 13.6 nmol/L

Erin8607
Knee Deep

Post   » Tue May 16, 2006 2:48 am

Didn't know whether to start a new thread or add it here, can be moved if needed.

My question - Has anyone experienced their skinny pig growing hair out of the blue? Lamb has developed a pretty good layer of "peach fuzz" over her back with some longerish teddy hairs sticking out here and there. She just turned 1 at the end of last month.

piggie parent

Post   » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:22 pm

I just found this thread and since I have so many skinnys and a couple of Baldwins I thought I would keep an eye on it.
As of right now the only issue I seem to be having is with the baldwin.She has what we thought was bumble foot however it goes away and comes back repeatedly, with or without ABs. She also has rashes that come up often of dry skin the vet seems to think it is a type of skin disorder is isn't spreading and comes and goes. Her weight is the same way she will get big and plump and then lose it all. The skinnys are all well and show no signs of illness.
I have ages from 4 weeks to what I like is about 2yrs old.