crusty bits

Hedra

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:31 pm

I posted this in cavy chat as well.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About three weeks ago I got two new piggies, a one month old Himilayan female and a 5 month old black female (both short haired)

last week-end I noticed a tiny spot of blood in my Himi´s hidey house and she showed no signs of injury but I did notice her bits were a little swollen. I thought she might be in heat (my older female pig has never shown any sign so I wasn´t 100% sure.) I asked around and was told that it did SOUND like she was in heat, and to just keep an eye on her. It has now been a whole week and she is still swollen and now she has some white dischage and crustiness (only the one spot of blood though).

I was going to take her into my clinic today to get checked out (I recently got a job at a vet clinic) but they are awfully busy today so I am brining her in to work with me tomorrow. In the meantime I thought I would ask if any of you have seen this before so maybe I can stop worrying about her a little.

Thanks
Last edited by Hedra on Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hedra

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2002 3:35 pm

Lynx I was trying to read "how to know if your cavy is in season (with illustations)" at Guinea Lynx but the link didn´t work for me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2002 4:33 pm

I think that is one of the ACBA articles. For some reason they have moved everything and I can´t figure out where they´ve gone. If anyone has a life link to the ACBA articles, let me know.

Does she squeek while peeing? I can´t say my three girls ever looked swollen (to me). Sometimes there was a bit of whitish discharge -- I believe this is traces of urine that has calcium deposits in it. Blood is unusual and it is hard to know if it is ever normal, though there have been rare reports of traces of blood that have gone away and no other symptoms ever manifest themselves.

If you have any question, a qualified vet may be able to help. I´ll go search around to see if I can find a live link to that article but I´m not very hopeful if you say it doesn´t work.

Hedra

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:01 pm

It´s hard to tell if she sqeeks while peeing as she sqeeks all the time. She is one of those piggies that always has something to say. I think her mouth is attached to her feet, if she´s on the move she´s squeeking.

She is coming to the vet with me tomorrow, I was just hoping someone might have some advice before then. (I have not had luck searching for info) I hope it´s something simple. I will let you know what the vet says.

pinta

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:07 pm

Yes, swelling of the genital area can indicate a urinary tract infection. White blood cells don´t show up colourwise so it´s best to get a pee sample spun down to check for blood. You could take a pee sample in with you(in case her bladder is empty at the vets). The vet can also draw out a uncontaminated pee sample with a needle for analysis.

Most of the time we just have a pee sample we bring in spun down. Or the vet expresses some pee while at the clinic. Just knowing there is blood present is enough to confirm an infection. Sulfa drugs are great for UTIs. Baytril will work too.

Hedra

Post   » Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:15 pm

Thanks pinta. I think I will let the vet take a sample as he will be a lot more successful than me I am sure. I can syringe feed her a little bit of water tomorrow morning to make sure her baldder is full. ( I gave her some today that way when I noticed her watter bottle was empty, and she loved it)