Reba: Satin w/arthritis, bone loss, & teeth issues

pinta

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:38 pm

I should clarify that I would up the calcium lactate by 75mg.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:38 pm

Oh, I guess I misunderstood that. So 225mg daily of the lactate? I think the Tums dose would still be higher. Does the dose depend on the type? I know some things are that way, like iron. You need a lot fewer mg of some irons to equal the mg of others as far as effectiveness, if that makes sense.

I have no problems with using the higher dose of lactate if it is really felt that it is the better choice. It does concern me tho that the 150mg daily dose still allowed so much damage to occur.

Becky

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:12 pm

I use a full spectrum reptile bulb. It's a Super UV coil lamp, 13 watt. I'll do a search and come up with the specific info on the numbers for the type of light it should be. It's not just any old lamp, and not a plant light.

Also, they're only effective for 6-12 months. Even though they still look like they're fine, they're no longer giving the type of light you need.

Interestingly, I'm taking my Elvis in for x-rays this weekend. He's very gradually been losing weight again, so I want to see what's going on.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:25 pm

Thanks Becky. as soon as you give me the specifics I will track one down. If you know an exact brand or such then please pass that on as it will make my search easier!

Becky

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:49 pm

Man, I spent too much time looking and I got logged off. Bye, bye light bulbs! Oh, well.

OK, natural sunlight has UVB at 290-320nm and UVA at 320-400nm. You're trying to match that as closely as possible. If you look on the packages, it'll give you a range by nm.

I'm on a new computer, so all my old bookmarks are gone, but I found all of the reptile info by Melissa Kaplan. For reptiles, she suggests Durtest Vita-Life bulbs or Zoo Med's Reptisun. Either way, you need to make sure the bulb provides both UVB and UVA light. Don't just look for full-spectrum. Look for specific numbers and types of rays.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:26 pm

Don't forget about the possiblity of using a human preparation like Fosomax to build the bone back up. Studies of humans claim calcium alone won't do it -- weigh bearing exercise helps some. We can't get our pigs to work out.

There's some drug you only use once a month being pushed on TV. I would guess these are real possibilities for building bone back up so long as cautions are followed.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:36 am

Fosomax has a once-a-month dosing now I think. I think there are others out there too tho. I will have to talk to the vet about the possibilities.

Thanks Becky. There is a Reptile only pet store not too far from me. My son would be thrilled to go and drool over all the creepies, so I will have to grab him and see what they have in the way of lights.

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:20 am

I don't know what's in Tums or how much calcium is in a tablet but the fosomax sounds like a good idea.

It seems if there are no bladderstones after all the supplementation so far, they aren't likely to be an issue.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:35 am

I believe there is 375mg of calcium carbonate in 1/2 of one of my Tums.

pinta

Post   » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:28 pm

But if it isn't readily absorbed it may be the equivalent of a lot less. Need those chem people to comment.

Becky

Post   » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:59 pm

I don't know about Fosamax. The dosing has to be just right, and if I'm not mistaken, it has to be taken on a completely empty stomach. Not sure how that would translate to guinea pigs.

Mamabear, have you looked into calcitonin? We were going to try it on Elvis before we found out that the calcium lactate seemed to be working. It's a hormone that takes calcium out of the blood stream for use in the bones. It's been used very successfully on other animals, but not on guinea pigs to my knowledge.

mammabear66
With a Touch of Insanity

Post   » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:39 am

Do you mean it hasn't been tried on pigs yet? I will see what I can find on it and talk to the vet. Thanks.

She has pretty much maintained the 20 grams she gained but has not gained more andhas been arguing about eating some today. I don't know yet if it is because she is eating more on her own in the cage or if there is something wrong causing her to not want to eat. I will have to see what her weight does. Pray for the little piggy diva.